Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 02:10 AM
I'm getting quotes ranging from $17k - $8k - hard for me to swallow. Does anyone have any experience with DIY floating dock kits, like these?

http://www.dockbuilders.com/dockkits.htm

Or any other sources I might want to consider I would appreciate!

Thanks
Posted By: ewest Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 02:11 AM
The last issue of PB mag has an article on docks including floating ones.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 02:19 AM
Hey Ewest

Yes, I read that article with great interest - thanks for the reminder. All the dock builders are in TX, not NE, and I'm not really looking to outsource yet another project. Specifically I am wondering if anyone in the PBF has specific experience with DIY Floating Dock kits. A good website is all I'm looking for if someone has used their plans/hardware successfully.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 04:36 AM
teehjaeh57 -

The Corp of Engineers just made Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri an encapsulated foam only lake, so all the old docks with standard foam either had to be converted over or pulled out. There are a ton of nice docks with the unencapsulated stuff available down there for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to build new. If you could figure out a way to dismantle and transport, it would probably be worth your time. I'm considering doing it myself.
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 04:42 AM
good idea Weissguy, maybe you could recycle several and make $$$

i built my own using a Merco Marine kit. i have picture of it floating on ice, maybe i email pictures to weissguy as i cannot from here
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 04:52 AM
i think merco is cheaper too. good heavy galvanizing

http://www.mercomarine.com/boat-docks/dock-kits.html
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 04:58 AM
sent pictures to TJ
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 11:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
teehjaeh57 -

The Corp of Engineers just made Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri an encapsulated foam only lake, so all the old docks with standard foam either had to be converted over or pulled out. There are a ton of nice docks with the unencapsulated stuff available down there for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to build new. If you could figure out a way to dismantle and transport, it would probably be worth your time. I'm considering doing it myself.

That's very interesting...guess one would need a nice trailer. Any clues on how one would go about researching? Drive down there? Call someone - check want ads?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/25/09 11:30 PM
Thanks Cliffbrook

Good looking setup...surprised at the low price!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/26/09 12:10 AM
I'm going to have to replace my dock this year, or next. The dock was built before the pond was flooded in 1992. Ice and weather have taken their toll.

The article in the March/April 2009 PB issue had a lot of good information, but I'd sure like a lot more info.

I'd really like to have a dock I could move with my tractor -- one with with a trailer hitch, that I could pull out in November, and push back into the pond in March.

At a minimum, I'd love to have a dock, in or out of the water, that won't be damaged by a 12-24 inch thick iceberg, that is 80% the surface size of my pond, and pushed by 50 mph winds.

I'd really like to have an open-discussion workshop on this topic at the convention.

Maybe it could be on the lawn over a burger, brew, and some ice.

Ken
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/26/09 12:23 AM
Ken, up here on great sacandaga lake because of the hydro dam and the need to supply water to the hudson river the lake can fluctuate quite a bit.
Many people have docks with wheels and also flotation so they can either float it or pull it in a little to keep it in contact with the bottom, then in the fall pull it out of the water.
http://www.greatnortherndocks.com/Docks/RollerDocks.htm
Posted By: Weissguy Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/26/09 01:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
That's very interesting...guess one would need a nice trailer. Any clues on how one would go about researching? Drive down there? Call someone - check want ads?

Craigslist seems to have a few pop up from time to time. You could also talk with some of the marine repair shops down there. They might have some of them available on consignment. You could also try posting your own craigslist want ad in related areas.
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/26/09 04:02 AM
ohmygod, cat, dont be giving me nightmares.....
Posted By: catmandoo Re: DIY Floating Docks - 03/27/09 01:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: cliffbrook
ohmygod, cat, dont be giving me nightmares.....

I guess I must elicit such outbursts. My boss has been saying that to me since he hired me way back in 1976! After all these years, he still asks me a few times a week if he's fired me yet that day (we're now both in the senior citizen category, so our memory isn't what it used to be)!

The link that Adirondak Pond posted has some of the best products I've seen. They need to be advertising in Pond Boss.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Ken, up here on great sacandaga lake because of the hydro dam and the need to supply water to the hudson river the lake can fluctuate quite a bit.
Many people have docks with wheels and also flotation so they can either float it or pull it in a little to keep it in contact with the bottom, then in the fall pull it out of the water.
http://www.greatnortherndocks.com/Docks/RollerDocks.htm

I'm glad to see all the links, like Mecro Marine I'm about three hours from them, but I've got some meetings up that way next month. They too should be PB advertisers, so we can find them.

Anyway, thanks all. When I start my new dock, I'll take lots of pictures, and post plenty of info.

Ken
Posted By: trialsguy Re: DIY Floating Docks - 05/27/09 03:56 AM
Howdy fellas its been awhile and my fish are still growing, My HBG are around 9-10 inches long. I havent seen a single RES that I can positively ID yet, not sure of the best way to catch them. but back to the topic, I picked up some used dock foam couple years now I guess by chance stopping into Hiets Point Luthern camp and asking them if they had any, At the time they didnt have that much to pick from but they had just burned a huge pile earlier that year, can you imagine what that must have been like, Anyway here is the link to the place maybe you can contact them and find out http:// [url=www.heitspoint.com]Here you go[/url] /
Posted By: david u Re: DIY Floating Docks - 05/28/09 01:00 AM
teehjaeh57 This thread shows a dock I built using the dock builders hardware and floats. I was very satisfied with their products
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11509&Number=132922#Post132922
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: DIY Floating Docks - 05/28/09 02:02 AM
Nice David...I appreciate the head's up!
Posted By: Omaha Re: DIY Floating Docks - 07/13/09 11:56 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Floating-Dock-with-Barrels/
© Pond Boss Forum