Pond Boss
Posted By: bdhaeh Where to buy Florida Strain Bass - 05/13/08 02:00 PM
We are currently renovating an old pond and I would like to stock certified pure Florida strain bass whenever we get finished. I am located in South central Ga, where can I get them and about how much do they cost per 100?

Thanks
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/13/08 04:28 PM
greg grimes at lakework.com should be able to get them. He is in Ball ground georgia.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/13/08 05:06 PM
bdhaeh- heading to OHio right now to get some fish but thought I would let you know pure Florida is hard to find in the SE. I spoke with 22 hathceries this spring. Some think they are Florida but no certification to be had. TX is closest place. Price is dependant on size. If you can find them 8-10 inch might be about $500 for 100 time they get to you. Larger than 14 inches and you better get the check book out. Thanks JS for refferral.
Posted By: bdhaeh Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/20/08 03:20 PM
Thanks, Greg.

They don't have certified bass in Florida? I mean c'mon, that's where they originated.

I can't afford to stock an 8 acre pond at $500 per hundred. So, what's the deal with the maybe pure Florida strain bass? I see dealers around offering F1 hybrids, where do they get the pure strain fish to hybridize?
Posted By: ewest Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/20/08 03:34 PM
The problem is in the term "certified". Most people want proof of what they are buying. Honest hatcheries will not sell Fla LMB as certified to customers requesting proof unless they have a letter from a University (or equivalent) fisheries genetics department stating the brood fish are pure Fla strain LMB. That along with the fact that most hatcheries are moving away from selling (or producing for sale) Fla LMB to pond owners due to catchability concerns and you have a shortage of certified Fla LMB. You could find a hatchery in south Fla and ask where the brood stock were from and just hope they are pure Flas. They will not be certified though.

To answer your last question - the hatcheries have pure Fla certified LMB which they grew out from there original Fla broodstock or got from south Fla in limited #s but they are used in F-1 production and are not produced for sale due to lack of demand.

Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/20/08 09:16 PM
For less money you can buy FX bass. I wish it was easier to find FLA I have clients wanting them as well. We sell more F1 and northerns than any other, if you would like to get a price on them let us know. greg@lakework.com
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/20/08 10:45 PM
A couple of years a go I tried to find genetically pure Floridas. Thankfully, all of the dealers that I tried were honest enought to say that they couldn't be 100% sure of what they were getting.
Posted By: bdhaeh Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/22/08 07:58 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. Kind of dissapointing to learn though. I had visions of growing California sized monsters, but I may just have to settle for a low teen fish or two.

Greg I will get in touch with you later on to get some more info on the F1's.
Posted By: george1 Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/27/08 11:09 AM

Bob Waldrop of Tyler Fish Farms and Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries both supply certified pure Florida LMB.
Overton air ships.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/27/08 04:54 PM
Don Marley of Lake Geneva Fisheries has FLMB CNBG and many more.
Posted By: bdhaeh Re: Where to but Florida Strain Bass - 05/31/08 06:02 PM
WhooHoo, thanks guys. I wonder how much shipping will be on 400 2-3 in fingerlings?

I'm thinking it might be better genetically in the long run to stock 250 Floridas and 150 F1s? Any thoughts on this?
© Pond Boss Forum