Pond Boss
Posted By: Sperger1 Weird copper discoloration - 01/17/20 10:27 PM
Hello. Been awhile since I have been out here. We have a strange new color to our pond. Wondering if it was a fish die off? Tilipia?

Attached picture IMG_20200117_12520528733.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200117_125238319.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/18/20 05:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Sperger1
Hello. Been awhile since I have been out here. We have a strange new color to our pond. Wondering if it was a fish die off? Tilipia?

Looks like a pond that I saw where the owner got a little overzealous with the copper sulfate.....

Was there any rain washing into the pond in that area? Almost looks like an influx of water moved the phytoplanktom bloom over.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/18/20 11:22 AM
We are in our rainy season across E. Texas. I consider
Troup to be in this area. The first thing I thought of was rain washing in from an area that has Iron ore or iron ore mining. I don't see much iron ore mining these days due to the slowdown of drilling across E. Texas where iron ore is used as a base for building drill sites. It usually lies close to or on the grounds surface. It may also be due to rain washing in some of our red clays that are now suspended in the water.
Posted By: Sperger1 Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/18/20 02:51 PM
No copper sulfate added and we have not really had any rain. This was just happened one morning and hasn't gone away. The water has gotten colder and probably lost the Tilapia.
Posted By: Sperger1 Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/18/20 02:52 PM
We haven't really had any rain that would wash into the pond. We are mostly sandy here so we really never get iron ore in our pond. It is really weird look.

Zach
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/20/20 01:53 PM
Very odd looking. I have seen something like this once in person and once here at PB where saturated surface ground water was seeping into the pond. In these cases, the water at the shore was clearer than the bulk of the pond water, being filtered by the surrounding soils.

Your pond's condition far exceeds the above possibility due to the fact that is extends far out into he pond and appears to be coming from one side not the perimeter.

One other guess might be a turnover of the pond moving a bloom or murky waters around. Are the temps conducive to a turnover there?
Posted By: ewest Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/20/20 02:29 PM
May be a wind driven plankton event.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Weird copper discoloration - 01/22/20 10:51 PM
Cedar or pine pollen??
© Pond Boss Forum