Pond Boss
Posted By: Ron Peterman Whats the Temp? - 05/22/05 02:44 AM
How do you take water temperature at different depths? I have a 12 foot deep six acre pond that is entirely spring feed. I know what the temperature is at the surface, but how do I measure at say 5 and 10 feet depths?
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Whats the Temp? - 05/22/05 03:50 AM
You could tie a thermometer to a string, measure string with tape measure, mark string at say five or teen foot increments. Add weight to string near thermometer. Lower string in water to five foot depth ....wait a minute.......raise up and read temperature. :p
Posted By: 06will Re: Whats the Temp? - 12/19/05 04:01 AM
That worked for me.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Whats the Temp? - 12/19/05 11:21 PM
Ron,

If you want to get a little more fancy, Cabellas has a product, I forget the exact name, that you just attach to your fishing line and drop over the side. It records the temp on the bottom and at five foot increments as you wind it back in. I had some problems with mine in that the depth measurement seemed way off, but others who have purchased this unit like it. I think it costs about $65.
Posted By: george Re: Whats the Temp? - 12/19/05 11:40 PM
A WallyMart indoor/outdoor thermometer works well for me for depths to 10ft.

Around $10 bucks if I recall.
Attach fishing weight to probe and you're in business.

I can estimate depth on cable, but if finiky mark 1 ft intervals with tape.
Posted By: Bill Douglas Re: Whats the Temp? - 12/20/05 03:22 PM
I bought a temp probe from Bass Pro Shops that works very well. Seems like it cost about $25. You drop the probe in to whatever depth you want and look at the hand-held readout to see what the temp is. Works well and can be used in very deep water if you want. I marked the cable attached to the probe in 5-foot intervals so I would know how deep the probe is. It also measures how much light is available at the depth of the probe, but I don't use that feature.
© Pond Boss Forum