Pond Boss
Posted By: pinwheel yellow and black film on water - 03/16/03 10:47 PM
what can the yellow paint-like film that seems to be killing all fishes be originating from? this is a land-locked stock pond.

also,there appears to be an oil-like substance on the pond around the banks as well as from the spillway area on the flat land where the pool overflow carries the water away from the pond.

these things appeared from thursday(3/13/3)afternoon when there was no evidence at that time. i discovered the dead fish and the film on sunday(3/16/3).

i would appreciate any info from anyone as i am concerned about the posibility of contaminated well water for the farm. thks,samb [EMAIL]http://ag.anso.purdue.edu/disc[/EMAIL]
Posted By: lakedoctor Re: yellow and black film on water - 03/16/03 11:23 PM
Sounds like you might have had some thing spilled or discarded with a petroleum base if you can find a dead spot in the grass or any signs of this in the water supply area theres your problem sometimes things like that lay dormant till the spring rains or spring thaw brings it to your attention. Just a thought. DOC
Posted By: Nick Smith Re: yellow and black film on water - 03/17/03 03:16 PM
Try to collect some samples. Got any enemies? Sounds like someone might have poured something into your pond. Samples can be analyzed and used later in the case a legal battle erupts over this, if someone did dump into your pond. Just get the samples, have them analyzed. Get documentation.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: yellow and black film on water - 03/21/03 02:23 AM
Water test are expensive unless you suspect a particular substacne to be tested for. Remember stagnant water has oily surface from percipatated iron. Good luck with it.
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: yellow and black film on water - 03/22/03 02:40 PM
Pinwheel , I have noticed an oily looking substance coming out of the ground around the shoreline after it rains, it's as shiney as silver with the sun shining on it, and it seeps for a long time, sometimes it smells like sewer, sometimes no smell,i have rubbed it between my fingers and it doe's not feel oily,have not had yellow scum nor any fish kill.---strange! hope to hear more feedback on this . Harvey
Posted By: DavidL Re: yellow and black film on water - 06/17/03 05:54 PM
I have noticed the same thing on my ponds also. I seem to have a thin filmy yellow semi-transparent layer that almost looks like oil. I have no industry near my ponds at all. The layer has alot of surface tension but disappears completely after a rain fall where my pond looks pristine. It is most noticeable after many days of dry weather and still days. I have an aerator that does not help with this problem.
Posted By: Pottsy Re: yellow and black film on water - 06/17/03 07:09 PM
I can almost guarantee that the thin yellowy film is pollen, from tree/bushes etc. This time of year give a pine tree a shake and it looks like smoke coming off it.

From previous posts on the board the black/gooey substance may be from rotting leaves/trees etc...

As for the dead fish... that may or may not be related.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: yellow and black film on water - 06/17/03 08:12 PM
I agree with Pottsy. The film may be natural and not related to the dead fish. I have a trout pond that gets a yellow film etc on the windward side occasionally and the trout are doing fine. I believe mine is a combination of pollen and waste products from the fish feed.

Have your fish recently spawned? Are there a lot or just a few? Some fish get so stressed from spawning time that some die. Or is your pond high in organic material i.e. dead leaves mucky bottom etc., and you did you recently have a turnover from a warmup and then heavy rains?
© Pond Boss Forum