Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 08:29 PM
On my new 1/4 acre pond that is just filling, there is a white ring about three feet up the bank from the water, and maybe 8 to 10 vertical inches above the water. The ring is at the upper line of the wet clay that is absorbing water that is wicking up the banks on the dam. The ring is about six to ten inches wide. What could this be? The pond is in all red and gray clays.

Here's a picture.

Attached picture IMG_20170409_154152[1].jpg
Posted By: CMM Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 09:33 PM
Minerals???

Just a wag on my part.

Cmm
Posted By: Bill D. Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 10:46 PM
+1 Looks like something is coming out of solution as the water evaporates off. Interesting your other ponds don't show the same thing. Did you do anything different to this pond than the others, like add Alum, lime or some other treatment?
Posted By: stickem' Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 11:20 PM
John F,
If you were in SE Texas where I am, I'd just say it was white clay settling out....
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 11:34 PM
My other pond did that a little bit, but quickly became grassed over since it was renovated in August 2015, so I didn't notice it if it happened. It looks like a salt ring, but there is virtually no salt in our runoff waters. Must be something leaching out of the clay?
Posted By: stickem' Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/09/17 11:54 PM
I agree....keep an eye on it. If you see no ill effects to your pond, I wouldn't fret over it too much. When my pond was renovated in 2014, I had a reddish brown line of oily seepage coming out of a seam about 8' down in one corner of the pond...not much, just enough to notice. When the pond was compacted and filled, I have never seen any residue on the surface what so ever. An old neighbor that's lived there all his life (and has several ponds) indicated that he's seen the same phenomenon over the years and never knew what it was....just something leaching out a seam in the strata of the soil.
Posted By: snrub Re: White ring on clay bank - 04/10/17 02:17 AM
Salts.

We see this occasionally in fields that have spots that are perennially wet. The high water table floats the salts to the surface.
© Pond Boss Forum