Pond Boss
Posted By: Cadillac Bill Water temperature - deeper? - 03/20/17 04:51 AM
If the water temperature in winter has some very light floating ice, how is the water temperature 6 feet deep in a one acre lake? Georgia.

Is it the same as the surface or warmer?
Posted By: Instar Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/20/17 05:14 AM
Warmer.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/20/17 01:28 PM
water is most dense at 39 degrees...when ice capped the near surface temperature is usually 32-34 degrees. If there is little to know current on the body of water, that 39 degree water will be at or near the bottom
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/20/17 09:28 PM
Actually in most ice covered ponds/lakes 39 degree water will be at or near the bottom and up to within a foot or two of the surface. At the very bottom the water in a 1"-3" zone layer can be 40F-41F from the residual summer accumulated heat radiating from the pond bottom.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/21/17 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Actually in most ice covered ponds/lakes 39 degree water will be at or near the bottom and up to within a foot or two of the surface. At the very bottom the water in a 1"-3" zone layer can be 40F-41F from the residual summer accumulated heat radiating from the pond bottom.

Interesting!
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/21/17 12:57 AM

I wonder if the higher temps on bottom can also be from decaying matter? Kinda like compost giving off heat.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/21/17 02:43 PM
The heat from the bottom organics decomposition is minor compared to geothermal heat released from the sediment. The bottom becomes a heat sink during summer providing the pond is destratified. At least that is what my limnology book states.
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Water temperature - deeper? - 03/21/17 03:21 PM
The heat from the bottom organics decomposition is minor compared to geothermal heat released from the sediment. The bottom becomes a heat sink during summer providing the pond is destratified. At least that is what my limnology book states.

I have no doubt that you're right. I was just thinking out loud. laugh
© Pond Boss Forum