Pond Boss
Posted By: Fishintx85 Will these readings be OK for fish - 08/28/16 04:42 AM
[URL=http://s347.photobucket.com/user/fishintx851/media/20160827_164333_zps3gwoofyr.jpg.html][/URL

Will these readings be OK to add some red ear sunfish and fat head minnows
Posted By: esshup Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 08/28/16 03:11 PM
Yes, but the next call I would be making is to a local farm fertilizer supplier and get them to deliver a few spreader trucks full of Ag lime and have them lime the pond.

The alkalinity and hardness numbers are way too low.

How big is the pond and what is the max depth?
Posted By: Fishintx85 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 08/28/16 03:24 PM
Max depth 12ft. And pond is 275ft long and 90 at the widest and 65ft on other end I'm thinking about half acre??? What would be ideal on alkalinity, ph and hardness?
Posted By: ewest Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 08/28/16 08:23 PM
The test is inconclusive on alkalinity could be from 0 to 40 +- on test strip. Ideal is 200 for pond fish but can do ok down to 20 . Not sure you need lime but it would be good to add about a ton.
Posted By: Fishintx85 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 08/29/16 02:55 AM
Ok thanks for info going to clear up the pond soon as I get grass growing around the banks then I'll get a water test from hermanns fish farm in robstown tx
Posted By: Fishintx85 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 10/18/16 01:56 AM

Bought all the ag lime from tractor supply company and spread in the water tested water 3 days later alkalinity looking better. Should I add more? How do I raise hardness or is fine
Posted By: Fishintx85 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 10/18/16 02:01 AM
Added 750lbs of ag lime
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 10/18/16 11:55 AM
I am no expert here, ewest is, listen to what he says smile I can say that agg lime raised my hardness to 55 but it took some time to get there. It will also help to clear up some of the suspended clays in the water. I know you can add gypsum to raise your hardness to higher numbers and is also used to clear up the water if you have suspended clays. And welcome to this forum, lots of know how here.
Posted By: ewest Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 10/18/16 02:31 PM
Yes it takes time. You will get a slight bump when added and that should go up some more over time.
Posted By: Fishintx85 Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 10/18/16 03:40 PM
So I guess it should be fine for now or should I add a couple more hundred lbs of ag lime. I'm getting ready to spray with aluminum then spray with hydrated lime. Should I add more ag lime and give it time to raise ph and alkalinity before I spray with aluminum
Posted By: The Shadow Re: Will these readings be OK for fish - 06/02/17 01:38 AM
Wow, 2 things FishinginTx

1. I bought the same water testing unit from WalMart, and clearly i read it wrong.

2. I might be a neighbor of yours. Live closer to Sutherland Springs then I do Floresville
© Pond Boss Forum