Pond Boss
Posted By: Elsie H New pond - stagnent water - 05/26/12 04:21 PM
My brand-spankin-new 1.5 acre pond is only 3 ft. deep at this time since we have not had any rain to speak of for the past three months. Max depth, some day I hope, will be 18 ft. at the deep end and 9 ft. at the shallow end. The water turned green with some kind of bloom a few weeks ago and now there is a light scum on the surface.

Do you guys think this is anything to worry about? I would really like to avoid chemicals at this early stage but I'm unsure. What do y'all think? Thanks.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: New pond - stagnent water - 05/26/12 04:42 PM
What's the worry? Do you have fish in there yet?
Posted By: esshup Re: New pond - stagnent water - 05/26/12 04:46 PM
This Spring has been a bad year for scum on the ponds. Unless it's green (or was green) it's most likely pollen. The ponds up here are covered with it, most are over 50% covered. It's most noticeable on the windward side of the ponds.
Posted By: Instar Re: New pond - stagnent water - 05/26/12 07:00 PM
Beings this is a "brand-spanking-new" pond, it is part of the natural processes that a new pond will experience in achieving natural balance.
Posted By: Elsie H Re: New pond - stagnent water - 05/26/12 10:13 PM
OK, thanks for the responses. The water level has been sitting at about 1/4 full for three months now and I guess I'm getting a little anxious. The grandkids have been asking "Is it time to swim yet Grandpa?"
© Pond Boss Forum