Pond Boss
Posted By: karmann raising pH - 07/15/11 10:56 PM
I have a small pond with fish in it- every time I test the pH it's low, about 6.5; and I'm told it should be 7 or a little higher. What's the best way to raise it?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: raising pH - 07/15/11 11:34 PM
Don't make any decisions without taking reading at various points throughout the day. pH is cyclical based on photosynthetic activity.
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: raising pH - 07/16/11 04:52 AM
Fish prefer a pH between 6 and 9. One thing you should check in addition to the pH, is alkalinity. As Bruce eluded to, pH has diel fluctuations. pH will be greatest in the late afternoon, and lowest in the early morning. The alkalinity is the measure of negative ions (buffering capacity) in the water, i.e., Bicarbonate and carbonate. The greater the alkalinity, say 20 ppm and greater, the more buffer you have in your water. The buffer keeps the pH from fluctuating from one extreme to another. One way people raise the pH, especially in the south is to add agricultural limestone, which is calcium carbonate. It increases the amount of negative ions, which increases your alkalinity, resulting in an increased pH.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: raising pH - 07/16/11 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: tjstubbs
Fish prefer a pH between 6 and 9. One thing you should check in addition to the pH, is alkalinity. As Bruce eluded to, pH has diel fluctuations. pH will be greatest in the late afternoon, and lowest in the early morning. The alkalinity is the measure of negative ions (buffering capacity) in the water, i.e., Bicarbonate and carbonate. The greater the alkalinity, say 20 ppm and greater, the more buffer you have in your water. The buffer keeps the pH from fluctuating from one extreme to another. One way people raise the pH, especially in the south is to add agricultural limestone, which is calcium carbonate. It increases the amount of negative ions, which increases your alkalinity, resulting in an increased pH.

Yeah, that. smile
© Pond Boss Forum