Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 01:06 PM
I have been told I will need hydrated lime for my muddy water. My local tractor supply has what he called powdered yard lime for only $4.49 a 50# bag. Is that what I need and is ag lime the same thing? Also need a source for Alum? TSC has 42 bags in stock.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 01:15 PM
Send a pm to Rainman he the man on that stuff
Oops James saw your other post.... is it possible that you got a bloom going on? My clarity is about a foot or so.....
Posted By: Flame Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 01:23 PM
I tried to send him a PM but it said he has gone over his allotted message limit?? If you have contact with him can you give him a message to PM me? Will overtons come out and treat my muddy water?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 01:41 PM
Call Todd and see... I imagine they would
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 01:48 PM
Rex@tilapiastockers.com
Try that James
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 02:07 PM
I don't think the yard lime is what you are looking for. Stop by your local seed and feed store for hydrated lime. It should not be hard to find.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 03:19 PM
East Texas - Red clay muddying your water?

I used Barn Lime from Tractor Supply. Probably the same stuff, powdered limestone. $2.99 a bag. Perhaps 8 bags cleared up my red water in a couple of days and it has never recurred. Cheap and easy, if it doesn't work you aren't out much and your pond will still love you.

Hydrated lime is something else entirely. BE CAREFUL with it. It can kill fish and must be applied correctly.
Posted By: Flame Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 03:42 PM
definantly not a bloom Pat. I put just a 1/4 teaspoon alum in the jar of water and it went perfectly clear and all stuff settled on bottom in a matter of minutes!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 10/09/19 04:01 PM
Hydrated lime is white powder (like baby powder) and is highly caustic. You do not want it on you or to breath it.

Yard lime/ag lime is entirely different.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Hydrated lime..Is this ok? - 02/18/20 12:19 AM
Hydrated Lime is Calicium Hydroxide...Ag/yard,pelletized/pulverized lime is Calcium Carbonate and often includes Magnesium Carbonate.....they are very different!!!
© Pond Boss Forum