Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe New test with Alum.. - 03/18/19 12:41 AM
Done several jar tests last fall with samples of no Alum to high rates of Alum and any of the tests I done last fall, the sediment always went to bottom of container.
I pulled my first samples of the pond since the ice went off 6 days ago. We had some snow melt (slowly) on frozen ground and the pond came up a few feet but slowly, no bad run-off, for all practical purposes I would call it discolored like really weak tea. I have a 300' grass buffer that is mainly switch, western wheat and brome-very dense stand-about 3-5'tall and I'm hoping that discolor is "tanning" maybe??
The samples I pulled last night I brought home and put in qt size jars. I mixed differing amounts of Alum into several of these and the ones that cleared up the particulates are all at the TOP! dirty brown ring about 3/8-1/2" wide at the top??
Nothing at all on the bottom of jar like I had last fall, nothing.
I know you can get some floc at the surface but everything??
I could tell within 15 min there was a ring starting at the top. Today, big ring at the top and not anything visible on the bottom of the jars. Can anyone tell me what this means?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New test with Alum.. - 03/18/19 02:25 AM
I suspect your floating ring is fine organic material that has washed in from your water shed.
Posted By: Snipe Re: New test with Alum.. - 03/18/19 04:12 AM
Thanks Bill..So you're saying this is normal to have high amounts "surface" after an Alum treatment? Wonder how I can help eliminate that?? The entire area is grassed including the 2 sediment ponds it comes into first. neither has held water long enough to affect the growing grass. Maybe I have a grass that is not suitable for this purpose. I'm wondering if maybe making one of those into an artificial wetland marsh-type deal if that would help filter more organics out.. Humm.. More money..
Posted By: Rainman Re: New test with Alum.. - 04/05/19 08:37 PM
Alum alone can lower pH enough to kill algae, which will gas up and float... Hydrated lime will do the same thing in a pond. Sometimes it looks like a really nasty, frothy, gunk....First mild rain will pop all the bubbles and it sinks.
© Pond Boss Forum