Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 12:09 AM
I think this is what it means to see a bright light when you look down the tunnel. It's probably a train.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/uppermissvly_loop.php
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 12:29 AM
Looks like a spring shower coming.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 12:31 AM
It's still 110 miles off. Is it too late to buy a generator?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 12:54 AM
use your scuba gear...I think I know where you can get a fairly new solar panel for nix.
WRT the pretty blob, it's only a Rohrschack test...tell me son, what do you see?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 01:11 AM
I see....a flood for someone in Kansas. We have a 100% chance of rain tonight. I don't think I've ever seen that. I got 1.7 inches in the last round. Now I'm only 17 inches under for the last few years. If if rained 2 inches tonight my pond will fill. If it rains 3 inches I'll get 7 acre-feet of water in a pond with a capacity of 10 acre-feet. If I get 4 inches I'll get 14 acre-feet...

Of course this is all wishful thinking. In actuality I'll get a trace tonight and I'll be whinin' about the drought in about 6 weeks.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 01:18 AM
I dunno...Fox News is promoting some v nasty weather thru the heartland.
Aunty Em, Aunty Em!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/02/06 01:32 AM
One thing about feeding fish...if your pond doesn't have flow through, the nutrients start to build up, and in my case the salt. My big pond (I guess 1.25 isn't that big) is very "hot" right now as far as nutrients go. It wouldn't hurt to flush it once every five years or so. That way my nutrients can end up contributing to the Mississippi delta.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/03/06 12:28 AM
I think it wants to rain in Indiana here pretty soon.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/03/06 01:01 AM
...the Rohrschack blob has arrived in Illinois. I think guys like Rangersedge (further south) are closer to the epi-center. The leading edge just dumped a pre-curser of dime sized hail...let the show begin.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/03/06 01:07 AM
It's raining here. The total including last night is just reaching 1.2 inches. Very slow and steady, with a ten hour break in the middle. Still no runoff. The 2.9 inches total since the snow has brought my pond up about 2.91 inches, but it's reaching critical mass. 5 years of drought has left our ground as one humongous sponge.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/06/06 11:21 PM
The weather service has informed me that a "multi-vortex tornado" is heading my direction, but it's about 55 miles away. I'm trying to think of something prophetic to say, but pretty much every good line has been used already by Theo.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/06/06 11:30 PM
Bruce, grab the JD and hunker down. You dont want any flying missiles. Good Luck.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/06/06 11:41 PM
 Quote:
The weather service has informed me that a "multi-vortex tornado" is heading my direction,
That is a serious warning. I would run quickly for cover! \:\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/06/06 11:43 PM
Thanks burger! The town of Beatrice was first in line, which is south of here. Hope they're all OK. So far Lincoln is just in a "watch" and not a "warning". It still makes me really uneasy. My partner got hammered by a tornado two years ago.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/06/06 11:44 PM
Thanks PFF. I think I should moderate your smiley face and turn it into one of those crazy-eye-popping-Oh,oh graemlins.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 04/07/06 12:13 AM
Good luck, Bruce. Here's something inspirational to see you through this time of trial:

"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then, if you like the shoes, keep 'em. What's he gonna do about it - a mile back and barefoot?" :p
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/11/08 08:17 PM
Watch this radar.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ddc&product=N0R&loop=yes

This is how big storms start. See the warm and cold air rubbing against each other near Dodge City? This stuff worries me a little bit.

Somebody's gonna get hammered in about 5 hours.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/11/08 08:47 PM
At least you weren't here.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/11/08 09:06 PM
Is that for real??

Here's the sattelite photo for right now. Bet there's gonna be lots of reds on that same image this evening!!!

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 12:16 AM
Sure enough, a tornado has been spotted just west of Lincoln. We are in a tornado warning. We're ready to take shelter. Those sirens are scary.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 12:23 AM
Good luck and keep your head down. The pic is real I believe. A PB member sent it to me just after bad weather in that area.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 12:33 AM
incredible images guys.........good luck bruce,

in contrast, its BONE DRY here, humidity in single digit percents, northwinds....major fires starting to occur and fire hazard everywhere. pond is down over 3 feet, this time last year was still nearly full.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 01:16 PM
They just started the burn ban again here.We havent had any rain in a couple months,temps in the 90s and the wind is driing and blowing everything away
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 01:30 PM
Does anyone know how Bruce fared with the Tornados?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 05:10 PM
I say tornay-do. You say tor-nahdo.

Several touchdowns were reported with about 80 miles of here. Closest one was probably 15 miles away.

My pond got absolutely hammered. Looks like maybe 5 inches! If so, then I've got a huge cleanup on my hands, but I haven't been able to get there yet. Maybe tonight.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/12/08 06:15 PM
We had 1.95" last night at the pond and the water level has come up 10-12", that's 2-3 million gallons of extra water and we were full to the rim already. Any more water and it's likely to start going around the low corner of the dam.

Bruce, the water level early this morning was just 5" below the top of the retaining wall near the house. \:o
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/15/08 04:25 AM
Image from Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/15/08 05:36 PM
Wow, that is sad.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/15/08 05:37 PM
The water crested at 12 feet above the all time record.
Posted By: GW Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/15/08 05:38 PM
Shorty, you've got water going over your emergency spillway right?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/16/08 10:52 AM
I heard yesterday that 88 out of their 93 counties are flooded.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/16/08 03:28 PM
 Quote:
Shorty, you've got water going over your emergency spillway right?

Yep! \:\( The water was 10-12" above the top of the spillway last week but has gone down. The ground is extremely saturated here in southeastern NE, we have officially had 6" plus of rain in June so far. We had another inch of rain yesterday morning and the water came up 5 inches, I did install a BG retainer screen last week on the splillway we have not lost very many fish like we did last year.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 10:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I heard yesterday that 88 out of their 93 counties are flooded.

...declared disaster zones.
They called in the Coast Guard for assistance. They have special shallow-draft boats.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 10:49 AM
Hey Bing...
You're kinda in the general latitude of some of the worst storm tracks. How did you fare?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 12:33 PM
Bski, have you made it to LNP yet to see how you faired all that rain?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 01:49 PM
I went there last weekend. It hadn't rained for 3 or 4 days, but that last rain was another strangler.
With the last gulley washer 3 days past, the pond was 3" over normal pool. The trash guard at the spillway pipe was clear. The output end of the spillway pipe was running like a babbling brook over the large rocks we placed to stop wash-out.
-
Yep, big smiles; working like a charm.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 03:06 PM
Bski, how's the KOOK drainage box under the road working out? Originally the crochet set.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 03:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Bski, how's the KOOK drainage box under the road working out? Originally the crochet set.

Dang, RT, I'm not sure whether that's the right word or the wrong word.

Bski could make either one of these from rebar:
Crochet

Croquet

Posted By: Brettski Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 03:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper

I have been holding back on adding the next post on the kooky engineering thread. I have a set of 4 metal trash guards that need to be painted and installed to call it complete. Until I do so, I have been using the croquet pins and unsightly brush piles to hold back the leaves and krap. So far, particularly with all this rain, it is working great. Ultimately, I believe the unsightly brush piles are the key to successfully re-inventing the wheel.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 04:10 PM
Perhaps you could replace the brush piles with riprap like you put on your drainge area on the dam and house pad.

Theo I can't spell as you can see I barely passed that class in school. I had a 50/50 change with spell check and It appears I lost.
Posted By: Bing Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 06/19/08 04:10 PM
Bski: Thanks for asking. Although we are about 17 inches of rain above normal for the year, Bingaman's Lake Farm is doing well. Thanks to Dave "Mongo" Sefton's excellent dirt work and some input from Lusk, my spillway was changed a year or two ago to do a much better job of handling runoff. The pond is full, but I am lucky enough that even in a dry year it only drops about eight inches. The nearest river flooding to me is about eight miles away in the Kaskaskia river bottom near Vandalia. That area is mid-way between two lakes, Carlyle to the south and Shelbyville to the north.

It doesn't look good for crops in that entire bottom area. No residential or town flooding, but the crop land looks like a lake.

Even some of the flat land farmers have had to plant corn or soybeans three or four times because after they plant they have a soaker that destroys the seeds. My "farm" is planted in an Oak and Walnut forest which is only about 10 years old, so it will be some time before I see a harvest. Wet years are probably a lot better for me than for others.

Bing
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 10/26/08 04:02 PM

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 10/27/08 03:17 PM
remarkable shot bruce, do you take credit for this?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 10/27/08 11:44 PM
Yes, but I shouldn't, 'cause I didn't. ;\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 10/28/08 12:51 AM
He didn't take this one either. I think it was Sunil.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/18/13 03:47 AM
Just saw a forecast for Lincoln, and all of Eastern Nebraska for 18 inches of snow on Thursday!! Crikey!
Posted By: esshup Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/18/13 04:33 AM
They haven't said anything about storm totals here, in fact, they still haven't made up their mind on whether it'll be snow or rain. Either way, we need the moisture!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/18/13 06:18 AM
They say we could get an inch of rain. I forgot what that looks like....
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:19 AM
Still hearing 1 foot or more.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:26 AM
Chance of 18 or more inches on Thursday.

Posted By: ewest Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:31 AM
Much larger area of snow , sleet , ice and rain all the way to the Gulf Coast.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:32 AM
...and here's our probability of getting 12 inches just on Thursday alone. Folks, this storm is going to be epic.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:33 AM
...by the way...

That's me right in the very, very heart of this S.O.B.
Posted By: esshup Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 01:48 AM
Bruce, what website are you finding the maps at? I'd be curious to see what it looks like for me on Thurs/Fri. 46531
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 02:04 AM
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml#snow
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 02:55 AM
Snow blowers filled with fresh gas, will fill vehicles tomorrow, and get ready to batten down the hatches!
Posted By: esshup Re: Lookin' down the tunnel - 02/19/13 05:13 AM
Thanks Bruce! I added it to my favorites. Friday looks interesting out by you............ eek
© Pond Boss Forum