Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/29/18 02:47 PM
How did everyone fare in this last cold front coming through! We got 10 inches in a 24 hour period!! Again my pond is going over the spillway. I guess I will be picking up baby cnbg again from the spillway area. IF MY LMB HAVE SPAWNED do you think I have lost all the fry out the spillway?? Water is very muddy.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/29/18 02:59 PM
My ponds are all over the spillways too, and we have received just under 5 inches of rainfall in the last four days. Ten inches is extreme, and twice in a year?. That's never happened here since records were kept. I think our record is 9.6 inches in about five hours in June 1982. I was in that flood.

I think it depends where in the pond your bass spawned. Surely not all the nests were next to the spillway. I think new fry would not move far. On the opposite side, they should be good. Muddy water should help to conceal them from predators.
Posted By: BrianL Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/29/18 04:29 PM
We were lucky, only got 2.5". I had a pasture sprigged Wednesday and just knew I would have huge washes but it turned out OK. Pond full, but not much overflow.
Posted By: Flame Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/29/18 08:38 PM
Just came back up from the pond again 3:30pm. Good news...water still running in and out but a lot slower. Hit all my "hot spots" where washed over fish get caught up and only got 10 1 inch cnbg. In the past it has been several hundred. I believe it is because of the time of year. Not many cnbg have spawned yet to have 1 inch babies swimming around. I dodged a bullet this time!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/30/18 12:23 PM
.86 for me in North Texas. I’m about ready to once again repair roads
Posted By: ColdSpringsFarm Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/30/18 08:45 PM
Only ended up with around 1/4 inch. I need several inches to fill the pond back up. However, I just spread around 6 tons of lime on the surrounding basin in preparation for grass planting so I prefer to get it in smaller doses. Looks like it raised the pond level between 4-6".

Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: 10 inch rain again...!!!! - 03/31/18 03:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Flame
How did everyone fare in this last cold front coming through! We got 10 inches in a 24 hour period!! Again my pond is going over the spillway. I guess I will be picking up baby cnbg again from the spillway area. IF MY LMB HAVE SPAWNED do you think I have lost all the fry out the spillway?? Water is very muddy.

James our bass are still full of eggs, spawn appears to be weeks away. Don’t think the bcp have spawned yet. Males still Jett black and in the shallows. We got 3-3/4” rain, pond still about a foot low
© Pond Boss Forum