Pond Boss
Posted By: NickW Aluminum sulfate rates - 05/31/17 06:32 PM
Hello, I have been lurking on this site for the better part of a decade and have finally decided to finally register and try to seek some help clearing up my murky pond

I have a 1.77 acres pond in NW ohio that has a problem with suspended clay that seems to stem from my aeriation. The pond is typically pretty clear after ice out but then gets very murky a week or so after first turning on the aerators. I plan on adding a 3' riser to the diffusers, hopefully this helps.

I am also looking to dosing the pond with aluminum sulfate and hydrated lime. I have done a few test by adding a tbs. of the alum to 1 gallon jars to help determine how much alum to use, however it seems the more research I do the more confused I become about the dosing rate.

The results from the jar test shows that 1Tbs. cleared the water however it seems to leave a large portion of the sediment floating were as 2tbs and beyond the sediment cleared and sank.

So from what I have read my dosing should be anywhere from 200lb for the entire pond to 200lb/acres foot.

I would like to do this right the first time and not have to redo the application a week or two later however I am also leery as this is my first time doing anything like this and would hate to have a PH crashing problem and fish kill.

Hopefully this all makes sense

Thanks,
Nick
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Aluminum sulfate rates - 06/02/17 01:36 AM
Welcome Nick. I've never done this so will defer to others.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Aluminum sulfate rates - 06/05/17 07:32 PM
200 pounds alum/100 pounds HYDRATED Lime per acre/foot of water is a typical dosing rate required.

1.77 acres is not a job size I would call DIY. Alum needs to be applied quickly, and correctly to be effective at the dose rate mentioned. Applying slower, or improperly could require as much as 4 times the alum for equal results.
© Pond Boss Forum