Pond Boss
Posted By: ScottyD Can you use to much Gypsum rock in a pond - 11/30/16 03:29 AM
I have a pond that is just over 1 yr old and have muddy looking water, the clarity is really bad, 3-5 inches. I took a 5 gallon bucket of water and added some small drywall pieces to it and clarity definitely got better over the course of several days. I did a couple of jar test using Alum and that cleared up in no time. The control jar never really got any better even after sitting for weeks. Since we still have some areas that grass is not growing in to well and the seasonal creeks flow into the pond, we decided to use gypsum rock for helping with the clarity. I need about 3-4 tons of gypsum rock but the min order is 22 tons delivered. At $15 a ton, heck bring it on. The delivery is more expensive.

So my question is, can you use to much gypsum? I know it's pH neutral but I can't seem to find anything about using to much, downside of using to much, etc.
I was thinking of placing the extra gypsum rock in the season creek beds to possibly help in heavy rains. Using it as riprap in some locations until we have better grass coverage etc.
I realize that this will take weeks to make the clarity better but I figure it's best to get it started now and by late Feb I might be ready for the first bloom. I also read that using rock can last 4-5 yrs.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Can you use to much Gypsum rock in a pond - 11/30/16 10:44 PM
I don't know the answer, but where are you getting it?
The only place I could find was out of OK. The rock is supposed to be 6-8". I don't remember the name of the place but I do have the name and number if you are interested.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Can you use to much Gypsum rock in a pond - 12/01/16 05:47 PM
Sent PM
Scotty,

I've got 3-4 tons if you need it. I added it to my ponds back in May and started seeing results in 3-4 weeks. My water started with visiblity less than 12" and now it 3-4'. Fish have been doing great.
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the offer but I don't have a trailer to load it into and I think a tractor drive is to far from my place to yours. smile

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Can you use to much Gypsum rock in a pond - 12/03/16 01:48 PM
Chris, what has the Gyp rock done to your water hardness? I would expect to see an increase. I would like to raise my calcium in my water. don't need it for water clarity. I can use a smaller sized gyp and blend it in a water tank and then spread it or shoot it out into the pond water, but the gyp rock seams it might be easier but slower benefits by just adding some around the shore line. Thoughts from your experience. Thanks
© Pond Boss Forum