Pond Boss
Posted By: Snooter surface film - 07/27/16 03:40 PM
Purchased home in Dec 2015. Filled in old pond via adjacent creek in April. Approx. 35' x 45' pond. Just noticed a slight film on surface three days ago. Note sure if this is the cause, but I did recently cut the grass and had clipping go into pond. This is the second time I've got lawn clipping in the pond. I did not get this film the first time, so I'm sure if that is just a coincidence. Any suggestions on how to remove this film? The water seems to be clear other than the thin film on top

Posted By: Rainman Re: surface film - 07/27/16 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum snooter!

The film is common in the heat of summer. It is harmless and most likely either a single cell algae growth or protein film from fish slime and algae. It shouldn't hang around long and doesn't really require any action at all.
Posted By: Snooter Re: surface film - 07/27/16 06:02 PM
Thanks for the response Rainman. I have no fish, so I'm guessing it would some kind of algae. In case it does not clear up in a few weeks, do you have any suggestions on something that might help. I've got family visiting next month and would like to have it gone by then
Posted By: Rainman Re: surface film - 07/28/16 10:55 PM
150-200 pounds of Hydrated Lime will turn the water very clear, and kills everything at a higher concentration by raising the pH, and would be safe to swim in about 5-8 days after being applied.

Use some sort of barrel and water pump to mix the lime and spray into the water.
© Pond Boss Forum