Pond Boss
Posted By: eaton30 Muddy water in my pond. - 07/18/16 07:01 PM
Just curious. Was wondering if this is the cause. My pond was built in sept.of 2014. We got the rains and I had wheat and rye grass planted for soil erosion and I still had some dirt wash in the pond. Well the neXT spring summer fish got stocked, and had a spawn several times. My water was nice and green. This year at the end of June my water started to get muddy. I was guessing it's because I have more and bigger fish in there. My pond is somewhere in between half to three quarter acre. Im thinking the bream spawning is causing it. I only have bass and bluegill. Yall have any suggestions. Also water is going down from evaporation. Don't have a well yet.
Posted By: chambers270 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/19/16 02:05 AM
I am not sure how much this would help if it has anything to do with fish but I was told by a biologist to put a few bails of hay or barley in the water where it was almost submerged because it acts as a filter. I have not tried it yet because I just finished my pond but plan to this week.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/19/16 11:27 PM
How does your pond get water? Is there any stream near your overflow?

I'd suggest a treble hook baited with some chicken liver to see is some Bullhead Catfish found a way into your pond. Also do a Jar test to see if anything settles out of the water. Another possibility is that you do not have clay suspended, but instead have a brown algae growing. Suspended clay looks more like heavily creamed coffee, where a brown algae is a considerably darker, more like a chocolate milk.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/20/16 03:14 AM
I'll do those things and take a pic of it when I get out there. It's more of a creme tan color.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/20/16 09:28 PM
Here are pics of the water.

Attached picture 2016-07-20 16.25.13.jpg
Attached picture 2016-07-20 16.24.38.jpg
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 12:14 AM
Algae bloom?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 12:49 AM
I think so Pat.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 01:50 AM
So what can I do bout it.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 12:18 PM
Depends on what you are wanting to do? They pics show a bloom to me and that is what I want in my pond. So what are you wanting, a pond that is good for the growing of fish or a clear pond for such things like scuba diving with good visibility? What are your goals?

Tracy
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 04:36 PM
I just thought it was muddy water. We don't scuba dive but that would be cool. I was just kinda worried cause I uses to get a good green bloom and is was pretty looking. Now is muddy looking and ugly haha. That's what I'm referring to.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 04:38 PM
Oh and the only way I get water for now is from rainfall until I get a well put in.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 10:22 PM
Will it ever turn back green? First time I have seen this.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/21/16 11:25 PM
If it were me, and I was worried, I would take a sample and have it tested.
Posted By: eaton30 Re: Muddy water in my pond. - 07/26/16 04:14 AM
Thanks for the replys. Where is the best cheapest place to send a water sample?
© Pond Boss Forum