Pond Boss
Posted By: Bmorales Help!! Dirty Water - 08/25/14 08:28 PM
Hello guys! I own a 2 acre pond that is right behind my house and since I just recently got into fishing I would like to improve the conditions in order to create an ideal environment for bass. I have read that improving water clarity can help bass grow more because they will be able to see bluegill more easily, this true?

If so can anyone help me diagnose what I would need to do to clear my pond up? Here are some pics.

Attached picture pond2.png
Attached picture pond3.png
Attached picture pond4.png
Attached picture pond5.png
Posted By: esshup Re: Help!! Dirty Water - 08/25/14 09:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! Make or buy a secchi disc. Secchi_disk

Your measurement should be between 18"-36" of clarity. (give or take).

If the water is too clear, it hinders fishing, and cuts down on the available food at the bottom of the food chain.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Help!! Dirty Water - 08/25/14 10:47 PM
As esshup said, welcome aboard.

I might do a jar test also. The pic's almost make the water look stained, not silty.
Posted By: RER Re: Help!! Dirty Water - 08/26/14 06:41 PM
Welcome,

What Part of FL are you located?

I am having some water clearity issues too. I think I know what My issue is, It's a result of the type of fish I have.

What species are in your pond?
Posted By: snrub Re: Help!! Dirty Water - 08/26/14 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
As esshup said, welcome aboard.

I might do a jar test also. The pic's almost make the water look stained, not silty.

That was my thought too, that the water looked stained, but I did not really feel qualified to give an opinion.

Look at the third picture. Those look kind of like pine needles both on the bank and in the water. But then I look at his location and wonder if they even have pines.

That is why I didn't answer him when I first saw the post. But I agree that the water looks like it might have tannin in it from leaves or something.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Help!! Dirty Water - 08/26/14 10:26 PM
I agree with those calling the water stained. The water is not colored by suspended solids, but tannins. You can see the plants clearly, well below the surface. Nothing you can do for tannins except hope for a lot of rain to flush out the stained water and bring in fresh, clearer waters.

Also looks like a shared lake, but I'd bet the water is pretty acidic...perhaps you could get people to spring for a heavy Ag Lime application. It is fairly cheap and would help with overall health of the BOW.
© Pond Boss Forum