Pond Boss
Posted By: OKPrepper Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/26/13 09:10 AM
I have read through some of the archives where there was discussion about adding Gypsum to a pond and there were mixed opinions so I decided to post my question.

My brother just bought a 40 acre property and is having a guy build him a pond. He came highly recommended. This guy told my brother to go to construction sights and pick up all of the scrap sheet rock he can get and put it in his pond. This would help to seal the bottom and make the water clear.

Is this a good idea or not? If it would help in a new pond, can he just throw the scraps down on the ground and wait for the pond to fill up? Should he break the board apart and remove the paper first?

Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/26/13 12:08 PM
I have never heard that sheet rock or gypsum would help seal a pond. I would be really concerned if a person that I was hiring to build a pond thought that he might need anything to help seal it.

Gyp has been used to settle suspended clay particles. But, that is in powder form as a floculant. This has not come up in quite a while so I don't remember the particulars regarding the negatives of sheet rock. I do recall something about the paper coming loose in the pond. There was also something negative about the glue.

Anybody else remember that?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/26/13 12:45 PM
I found this: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81487
Posted By: esshup Re: Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/26/13 05:05 PM
OKPrepper, I have the same concerns that Dave Davidson has. Before giving the contractor any $$, I'd go and visit some people that he's built ponds for. Ask them if their ponds hold water, and if they've used sheetrock. Ask them if they are happy with their ponds, and if they were to build another one, would they use him again, and what would they change between the old pond and the new one?

Was he highly recommended as a dirt mover or a pond constructor (ponds that hold water)?
Posted By: OKPrepper Re: Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/27/13 05:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will pass along what was said. I had my concerns about any chemicals that bind it or aid in fire suppression that might be present. I will also ask where he found this
pond guy, he might sound really knowledgeable to a newbie, which of course my brother is. He does live near by so at least he knows where the guy lives if he has trouble.
Thanks again.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Gypsum / sheet rock in a pond - 02/27/13 05:54 AM
Welcome to the forum, OK Prepper.

Any business owner should be willing to provide a list of his customers, and I agree with Scott that it's wise to invest some time and ask them about their pond performance. If the contractor is unwilling to provide past customer information, or if these customers all are dealing with severely leaking ponds, then I'd keep looking.

Mike Otto, one of the owners of Pond Boss, works in Northern Texas and Southern Oklahoma. You couldn't dream of a better engineer and quality human being. I strongly encourage you or your brother to contact him - tell him we sent you.

1-800-882-DIRT (3478)
or
940-665-2258

mikeotto@ottosdirtservice.com
© Pond Boss Forum