Pond Boss
Posted By: travail How much Alum to water for slurry??? - 09/16/10 03:24 AM
anyone know how much alum to mix with clear water to make the slurry? How thick do I make it? I'm clearing a muddy pond.
Posted By: Rainman Re: How much Alum to water for slurry??? - 09/16/10 03:36 AM
I also posted the following under your new member post...

travail, any amount of alum in water is by definition a slurry as the alum never truly dissolves in the water and will settle out over time.

The best concentration is 1 pound Alum per gallon of clean water.
Posted By: travail Re: How much Alum to water for slurry??? - 09/16/10 05:03 AM
Thanks rainman. Another question for ya, I have a 3 acre lake and I'm going to put 1000lbs of alum in it. Its deepest part is 12' but most of it is 10' and shallower.. Does that sound about right on the amount of alum? Also the biggest sprayer I can get is only 15 gallons. So should I just plan for a very long day?
Posted By: travail Re: How much Alum to water for slurry??? - 09/16/10 05:08 AM
Is there a typical amount of Hydrated lime to put in the pond with the alum or does that all depend on the ph levels? Should I check the ph during the alum treatment or wait a day. I dont want to kill the fish that I put in there 3 yrs ago and never saw again.
Posted By: Rainman Re: How much Alum to water for slurry??? - 09/16/10 05:34 AM
Use 1/2 by weight of hydrated lime as you do Alum. There is no "typical" amount to use. Some ponds I've dealt with took around 50# alum per acre/ft of water, others took over 300#.

You'll roast yourself trying to treat 3 acres with a 15g sprayer! Get a tub and rent or buy a small trash pump to apply the alum. I assume you will be using aa boat?

Click on my link under my pic and give me a call if you like....I'll give you plenty of other options that won't involve a gallon of sunscreen for ya!
You should look into anionic polymers. They are safe non-toxic polymers that bind to the dirt particles. They do not change the PH or water chemistry and are relatively inexpensive.
© Pond Boss Forum