Pond Boss
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Bald Cypress question - 10/04/19 07:12 PM
So, our nursery is having a 50% sale and I got a 9’ bald cypress for the price of a 6’. Really good deal. I have been wanting one for a long time but usually too expensive and I wanted a decent size. My question is my pond is 2’ low. Would you plant it as low as you can and let the pond come up over it or would you plant it higher more where the full line is? Or even higher above the full line? Want to plant if this evening. Thanks.
Posted By: Zep Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/04/19 07:45 PM

this may help....

https://www.hunker.com/13425557/how-to-plant-bald-cypress-trees-in-water
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/04/19 07:54 PM
Thanks Zep. Yeah, I had found that article and also an old thread here on pond boss that helped as well. I was just curious if anyone had any recent experience they wanted to share. I think the tree in the water looks really cool, but I definitely don’t want to kill a tree I spent a few hundred dollars on. Thanks again.
Posted By: Zep Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/04/19 08:02 PM
N.TexasHalfAcre...absolutely it looks cool. I love trees in the water like at Caddo Lake. I suppose trees in or partly submerged in the water might make a Cormorant problem worse. I really never had a serious problem with Cormorants until last winter. Already preparing for them this winter....just bought more reflective tape last week and I have some other tricks up my sleeve for them as well. I think I hate cormorants worse than snakes. River otters and cormorants are really on my S-List!
Posted By: RStringer Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/04/19 10:05 PM
I know nothing bout cypress trees. We dont have them around here. With that being said I do love the looks of them especially in the water. Water makes everything better in my opinion.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/05/19 01:25 AM
I only found out a couple years ago that bald cypress will survive in N. Illinois. I planted two about 2' tall 2 years ago in an area that floods in a good rain but can dry out in a drought. They are doing great! My advice, plant them where you want them!
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/05/19 04:06 AM
I ended up planting it a foot or so off the high water line where it would be 6-8" under water when the pond is full (which is not often). If this one does well I may put the next one a little deeper. The pond would have to be much lower for that to happen. This hole was hard enough to dig in the damp clay/muck.

Attached picture Cypress Tree.JPG
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/06/19 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
I ended up planting it a foot or so off the high water line where it would be 6-8" under water when the pond is full (which is not often). If this one does well I may put the next one a little deeper. The pond would have to be much lower for that to happen. This hole was hard enough to dig in the damp clay/muck.

IMO PERFECT!

Attached picture Bald Cypress.png
Posted By: Zep Re: Bald Cypress question - 10/06/19 02:16 AM
NTexas.....that's going to look really cool in a couple of years.
© Pond Boss Forum