Pond Boss
Posted By: TGW1 American pond weed/ will it come back - 03/04/18 02:32 PM
Last spring I picked some American pondweed from Sam Rayburn lake and transplanted it into the pond. It grew pretty good and even spread around some considering I transplanted only a few sprigs of it. So, after seeing 8 degree weather this year and now high water(thank goodness), will it comeback or will I need to get some more to add it again this spring? I need some plants to reduce excess nutrients.

Thanks
The cold will not have killed it. You should be able to feel live tubers in the mud where stems came up from last year. The will be horizontal and an inch or so below surface. If seeds were produced, then new plants coming from those will not evident until later in the spring to early summer.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: American pond weed/ will it come back - 03/07/18 03:03 PM
We froze over this winter, and our APW is popping up right now. At least for us, <>60 degrees was the magic water temp.
Posted By: Jim Wetzel Re: American pond weed/ will it come back - 03/07/18 05:31 PM
I have had bare pond bottoms freeze thinking the plants would be killed. Still came up.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: American pond weed/ will it come back - 03/07/18 05:57 PM
Good to know guys. I need some plants to assist in keeping my excess nutrients down. Because of green fertile waters with reduced visibility to the 18" range no plants had grown from the ponds bottom for the past 3 yrs until I planted the pondweed. I was amazed on how well the pond weed took off with only a half dozen stems of it planted. It also seemed to breakoff some pieces and float around to other areas of the pond and sprouted. That was good. I am guessing I am not seeing any growth as of right now because the water is deeper now .
© Pond Boss Forum