Pond Boss
Posted By: basscrack Bank plant growth - 05/24/06 04:14 AM
I am looking for some advice on what plants or grasses I should try to establish on the banks of my renovated pond, the newly shaped banks are at a 3:1 slope, out of necessity.

Dealing with a pond in Nebraska, much of soil is silty and/or sandy. I am also worried about fluxuating water levels, (if the water is down a foot, that leaves over 3' of exposure) Is there something I can do to prevent erosion just into the water if you know what I mean?
thanks for any input
Posted By: Rad Re: Bank plant growth - 05/24/06 09:36 AM
Try www.vetiver.com, I am not sure how it will do in your area, but if it works it is really a fantastic plant, non evasive, roots to 12 feet and drought resistant. It eats heavy metals and drinks water like a fish when it's available. It is used for many things world wide, it sounds like a snake oil kind of thing, but my experience in using it for erosion control has been very good. It has been used in the US sincethe early 1900s.
I suffered from massive erosion and rip rapped the inside banks and vetivered the outside banks, overall the vetiver performed as well as the rip rap and was much cheaper and easier to maintain.
© Pond Boss Forum