Pond Boss
Posted By: Brandon Shook New Pond - What Vegetation? - 03/09/04 01:12 AM
I have a newly re-dug pond with a black soil bottom. It is about 1 acre in size, with a maximum depth of about 7-8 feet. I want some type of vegetation in it that will not take over but will still provide a fair amount of cover. The main fish in the pond is going to be largemouth bass. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: New Pond - What Vegetation? - 03/09/04 09:19 AM
Brandon,
Look 3 posts down under yours "New Pond What Basic Plants" for suggestions of plants. I'm planning on using eel grass for cover. Mike Robinson offers many suggestions. Also search for posts by Andrew Davis and Bill Cody for extensive discussions on plants.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New Pond - What Vegetation? - 03/10/04 02:51 AM
A pond with a max depth of 7 - 8 ft is not very deep to be adding submerged vegetation. With relatively clear water vis 4 ft most all submerged aquatic plants could easily grow in 7-8ft of water; very few are limited to depths of 3-5ft. Check out corkscrew eel grass; it is supposed to only grow 12"-20" tall (max northern range zone 6 maybe 5?). So this would not be obnoxious even in 7' of water. Regular eel grass gets 3'-4'tall.

As underwater plant beds expand they tend to make the water clearer so they can then grow deeper. I think is risky to add plants to your pond unless you can limit the water clarity to 2-3ft.
Posted By: Bill Cook Re: New Pond - What Vegetation? - 03/07/05 02:33 AM
Hello,
Posted By: Bill Cook Re: New Pond - What Vegetation? - 03/07/05 03:13 AM
this is my first message to ponds boss and my second
© Pond Boss Forum