Pond Boss
Posted By: TGW1 Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/22/17 12:14 PM
I found some wild Lizard tail growing and am now thinking of adding some in an area of the pond that has steep banks. Anyone have any experience with this plant and ponds? My plans are to have it growing in maybe 8" of water or so.
Posted By: RAH Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/22/17 12:37 PM
We have lizard's tail in shallow water in several of our bodies of water. It forms attractive clumps and has not been invasive for me. I will add it to our new wetlands as well.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/23/17 10:18 AM
Thanks for posting up your experience with the Lizard tail plant. Glad to hear it has not been invasive, that is the information I was looking for.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/23/17 10:19 AM
Thanks for posting up your experience with the Lizard tail plant. Glad to hear it has not been invasive, that is the information I was looking for.
Posted By: RAH Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/23/17 11:37 AM
I live a bit north of you, so hopefully some one in your neck of the woods will chime in.
Posted By: centex_aggie Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/08/18 01:20 AM
In my experience Lizard tail prefers at least partial shade and does not compete well with other species. It does no become too aggressive either. It may be difficult to get it to take solid root in 8" of water if you are transplanting from a bare root plug as it is a relatively delicate plant. If the water level is constant then I would recommend potted plants. If it fluctuates then you can transplant bare root plugs when it is 2-3" deep.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Lizard tail aquatic bog plants? - 05/08/18 12:46 PM
I did attempt to get the Lizard tail going by transplanting around 20 plants(all of them at or around 12" tall) and placed them in around 8" of water depth. The summer heat seemed to have killed off the plants last summer. I thought a few were going to make it but did not. They may in fact (like mentioned) need some shade.
© Pond Boss Forum