Pond Boss
Posted By: farmallsc Good plant or bad? - 02/15/17 03:16 PM
Anyone know what this is? I have it growing in various places around the edge of the pond. I'm referring to the ones out in the water. I know it's hard to see with the sun glare.

Attached picture IMG_3914.JPG
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/15/17 04:13 PM
farmallsc, it's hard to tell from the picture. Is there any red or burgundy shading on the leafs?

Water Primrose is popping up right now, but there's just no way of knowing what you've got without better pictures.
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/15/17 04:18 PM
Thanks Al, I'll get a better picture.
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/15/17 05:35 PM
Ok, here's a better pic.

Attached picture IMG_3922.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3923.JPG
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/15/17 05:54 PM
It sure looks like early Water Primrose to me, but I would wait for conformation or correction from those that can positively ID it.

Much better pics. Good job.
Posted By: esshup Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/22/17 12:07 AM
I think FireisHot nailed it.
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/22/17 12:42 AM
Would that be good or bad?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Good plant or bad? - 02/22/17 11:47 AM
It depends on each pond owner's goals and particular situations as to whether it's a nuisance or an invasive. I like it it when fry cover is a goal, but would control it in a recreational pond because of the difficulty fishing over it from the bank.

It does stay close to the bank, and is fairly easy to control if needed. It can also be raked back to the bank, and is easy to pick up once it's dried for a day or two. Here at our place, untreated water primrose goes in the compost pile.

Texas A&M's Aquaplant website is a great resource for plant identification and control options, so it might be a good site to bookmark. Also, use only aquatic targeted herbicides, and if called for, a non-ionic surfactant when treating any aquatic plants.

Water Primrose Information

© Pond Boss Forum