Pond Boss
Posted By: bikerider Water Hyacinth not growing like I expected - 06/30/16 06:09 PM
Hi all, I have about 10 water hyacinth plants in my pond (8ft diameter stock tank) In my research I found many people saying that these were good plants to help filter water and would spread rapidly to provide coverage for my few goldfish. I have noticed that they are growing larger individually but have not spread horizontally at all. I'm wondering why this is? The pond gets probably 4 hours of sun per day. Perhaps it's not peak growing season yet? They have been in the pond for a few months now. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
When dissolved iron is lacking water hyacinth struggle. Try adding some sort of dissolved iron supplement.
Posted By: RER Re: Water Hyacinth not growing like I expected - 06/30/16 06:21 PM
they like it warm and like nutrients
The weather here has been pretty cool with sunny days here and there. Maybe I will wait for our real summer to start and add an iron supplement or some type of aquatic fertilizer. Do you know if either of those are safe for fish?
It's probably temp driven....the hyacinth around my big pond has just started taking off the last 2 weeks. Prior to that it was pretty wimpy looking.

I can vouch for the filtering effect it has. My pond will go from 12-18" visibility to 36-48" in the next month or so. REALLY clears the water up. And it makes a great spot for forage to hide and grow all summer....then when it dies off it's game on for the larger predators.
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
It's probably temp driven....the hyacinth around my big pond has just started taking off the last 2 weeks. Prior to that it was pretty wimpy looking.

I can vouch for the filtering effect it has. My pond will go from 12-18" visibility to 36-48" in the next month or so. REALLY clears the water up. And it makes a great spot for forage to hide and grow all summer....then when it dies off it's game on for the larger predators.

That's good to hear smile I have heard of people having to clear out tons of it from the pond so it doesn't cover too much of the surface.
I don't know if 4 hr per day of sunlight is enough. Not sure. If the goldfish are trimming the roots, that could be part of the lackluster growth too.
A co-worker had a 6' diameter water fountain he'd put 10 Hyacinth plants in each spring. By mid July, here in Missouri, he would give me 2 large yard waste size plastic bags full of "extra" plants after he'd thinned his fountain pool.
Originally Posted By: esshup
I don't know if 4 hr per day of sunlight is enough. Not sure. If the goldfish are trimming the roots, that could be part of the lackluster growth too.

I've wondered that too. I know full sunlight exposure would be best for plant growth but the shaded area my pond is in was kind of my only option. I've wondered about getting plants that will thrive on less sunlight like parrot's feather or something. This is my first season having a pond so the whole experience is learn as I go.
Originally Posted By: Rainman
A co-worker had a 6' diameter water fountain he'd put 10 Hyacinth plants in each spring. By mid July, here in Missouri, he would give me 2 large yard waste size plastic bags full of "extra" plants after he'd thinned his fountain pool.

I'd be grateful for a similar experience wink
© Pond Boss Forum