Pond Boss
Posted By: Bill D. Acclimate New Vegetation to the Pond? - 04/24/16 01:28 AM
From time to time a topic that comes up on the forum is the need to acclimate new fish being stocked into a pond before actual release. Temperature, PH, etc. changes need to be slowly introduced to minimize stress and maximize chance of survival. What about when trying to introduce new species of vegetation? Is there a way to acclimate them as well or doesn't it matter?
Dangit Bill that is a legit question
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Acclimate New Vegetation to the Pond? - 04/24/16 01:47 AM
Hope we get some of the vegetation experts to respond to the question Pat. A lot of us have spent a lot of money buying plants that quickly died out even though they are native in our areas.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Acclimate New Vegetation to the Pond? - 04/24/16 02:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
From time to time a topic that comes up on the forum is the need to acclimate new fish being stocked into a pond before actual release. Temperature, PH, etc. changes need to be slowly introduced to minimize stress and maximize chance of survival. What about when trying to introduce new species of vegetation? Is there a way to acclimate them as well or doesn't it matter?

You know the classic PB answer: It depends!

Truly it does depend on water chemistry, type of plant, time of year, etc, etc.

I can say this from my experience this year: Grass can be much more difficult to grow than you'd think. On the other hand, every button bush we planted near or on the shore, including in holes 3/4 full of water, has not only survived but seems to be thriving. They are Bob Lusk's suggestion for cover & erosion control right on the water, so maybe it's not surprising.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Acclimate New Vegetation to the Pond? - 04/25/16 12:47 AM
I think yer probably right. I've done a little research and aquatic plants require certain PH and there are other soil and water quality requirements. Makes things a little more challenging.

I wonder if plants raised in say low alkaline water with 7.0 PH will do ok if put directly into high alkaline water with 8.5 PH even though, on paper, the plant can survive the 8.5/high alkalinity. Could the plants be stressed and possibly die do to the quick change in the environment? Possible partial explanation as to why some plants just don't make it even though, on paper, they should?
It's known as plant shock, if the shock level is a lot, don't be surprised if the plants keel over

Like the proverbial parrot, they may not get back up
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Acclimate New Vegetation to the Pond? - 04/25/16 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: andrew davis
It's known as plant shock, if the shock level is a lot, don't be surprised if the plants keel over

Like the proverbial parrot, they may not get back up

Can anything be done in an effort to minimize the shock?
© Pond Boss Forum