Pond Boss
Posted By: laxbro Shoreline vegetation - 02/03/15 03:39 AM
Any problems with adding shoreline vegetation to optimize the duck population? How about arrow arum, pickeral, water plantain and bulrush? I know some of these can get out of control. The lake is in east Texas. The lake will be fertilized regularly for the first time, so should I wait to see what pops up? There already are various reeds, along with tons of wax leaf myrtle.
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: Shoreline vegetation - 02/03/15 07:04 AM
I would pay attention to how much you plant and amount of area it grows per year. You don't want a nuisance vegetation problem. Nothing wrong with making your pond a multi use pond for enjoyment. Arrow arum come back each year and provides food and shelter to numerous wildlife, besides ducks.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Shoreline vegetation - 02/03/15 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Joshua Flowers
I would pay attention to how much you plant and amount of area it grows per year. You don't want a nuisance vegetation problem. Nothing wrong with making your pond a multi use pond for enjoyment. Arrow arum come back each year and provides food and shelter to numerous wildlife, besides ducks.

Laxbro, I agree with all that, and I might add water fluctuations as another consideration. I've had mixed results with Arrowhead, Hardy Lillie's, and even American Pondweed, because of summer/fall water table drops. At least for me, shoreline reeds and sages seem to handle dry soil the best, and they stay pinned to the bank so control is much easier if needed.
© Pond Boss Forum