Pond Boss
Posted By: Dantheman Algae - 05/07/10 10:44 PM
If I see algae on my rocks should I treat it with something like Cutrine before it gets worse?

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Algae - 05/08/10 02:41 AM
Well that depends... Do you want a swimming pool or a fishing hole? grin

Seriously, IIWM I'd wait and see if it gets to be a problem. What a lot of folks don't realize that treat with copper products is, copper is a heavy metal and it's over use can sterilize your pond as it doesn't completely break down in your pond bottom. Some filamentous algae is actually the sign of a healthy and diverse pond. On the other hand i guess there is Green Clean if it really bothers you but it's not cheap.

One of my ponds has in the past had an over-infestation of Chara, Sago Pondweed, and Small Pondweed. It's due to all the nutrients from the feeding I do -- due to the number of large feed trained fish I raise -- for a couple of niche markets. To combat that I use Aquashade at twice the recommended rate. Problem is, the nutrients have to go somewhere, and since they are not being utilized by the phytoplankton (no algae bloom) or the macrophytes, which are being held in check, they are being utilized by filamentous algae around the shoreline.

At first I was not happy with the appearance of the algae, but then i realized it acts as a natural break to the water pushed up against the shoreline as the pond level goes down. It keeps the bank from eroding from wind action .I know this because I raked all the algae out one day, and soon I had turbid water where the waves were lapping up against the receding shoreline. When the algae came back that stopped.

Best of all, this natural rip rap that was free, goes down with the water level as the pond goes down unlike rip rap. The frogs and tadpoles love it too.

Algae also breaks down ammonia which is a byproduct of fish feed and fish wastes.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Algae - 05/08/10 02:55 AM
Thank You Cecil for your insight
Posted By: esshup Re: Algae - 05/09/10 04:17 AM
Cecil:

I just got back from being out of town since Sunday and almost all the floating FA that was on the pond has disappeared. How's your ponds looking? (FA and Sago wise)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Algae - 05/09/10 04:35 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

I just got back from being out of town since Sunday and almost all the floating FA that was on the pond has disappeared. How's your ponds looking? (FA and Sago wise)

I hate to disappoint you but that is most likely that was due to the heavy thunderstorms we had while you were gone beating it down. That is unless you treated it with something. Or perhaps your macrophytes or algae bloom is competing for nutrients.

I've still got the FA around the shoreline which as I said I don't consider a problem. Sago hasn't appeared yet but I dosed the pond with two gallons of Aquashade which may inhibit it. I will still be getting some Whitecap (sonar) just in case I need it. I'm sending Greg Grimes money until I get it paid up and he can send it.
© Pond Boss Forum