Pond Boss
Posted By: TobyH Copper Sulfate Question - 07/20/23 09:38 PM
Ive had the place only 6 month. It is a newly renovated pond too so i know the first few years will be heavy vegetation, along with 2 springs going into it. When we bought it the previous owner heavily treated and the water was aqua blue almost no weeds. Anyway, the local conservation guy who was treating it gave me the mixture he used of 1lb copper sulfate to 1gallon of water, sprayed directly on top of the areas or vegetation i want gone. He said to only do 5 lbs of CS total for the pond and to do 1/2 of pond at a time.

I know the current amount i have, as seen in pic, is probably good for my BG population, frogs are loving it too. But the wife and kids want it knocked down a bit to swim.

Anything about this plan going to hurt my BG growth? I do currently have a Texas Hunter feeder going as well with Optimum food.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

thanks
Posted By: Snipe Re: Copper Sulfate Question - 07/21/23 03:29 AM
I'd do no more than 1/4 at a time. copper can build up over time although your flow-through may help that. Remember dye also inhibits planktonic growth, which is the bottom of the food chain. Dye also really only helps inhibit vegetation that requires sunlight.
Removing algae means removing the nutrients that also support fish growth. A clean, algae free pond is not generally a good producer of fish.
© Pond Boss Forum