Pond Boss
Posted By: duckweedgood still no duckweed - 11/22/19 06:04 PM
Ive been driving around making note of the few ponds that have duckweed on them. I look up the owners address and offer to harvest some of their duckweed for them. So far, not one person has been willing to get rid of their duckweed. Everyone talks bad about the stuff but no one wants to share. Amazing.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: still no duckweed - 11/22/19 07:44 PM
...be careful what you ask for
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: still no duckweed - 11/22/19 07:59 PM
Very odd that you can not find a DW supply. If I had DW on my pond, I would insist that you come back every month all growing season long...all or nothing!

I suspect DW is a particular plant. I say this because some DW got into my pond with some plants I bought online and my heart sank. I found several little specimens floating around the banks...took out what I could, but surely did not get it all. That was over a year ago and no DW to date.

Can you get a handful from a pet store or water garden store and see if it takes to your BOW. If it does, it will not stop...if not, it may be a waste of efforts unless you are just wanting it temporarily for feed or draw in ducks.
Posted By: LaBassmaster Re: still no duckweed - 11/22/19 08:46 PM
I have some DW starting to come in my 1 acre pond, after 4 years of water in pond. There are 2 swamp like, shallow ponds a few hundred yards away that are covered in DW. I thought DW was a bad thing? Do you want to have DW in your pond? Is that a good thing to have? I have an unlimited supply, just have to get through the 5 to 7' long snakes and tall weeds to reach swamp ponds...ugh.
Posted By: RStringer Re: still no duckweed - 11/22/19 09:53 PM
He is wanting 2 plant it to attract ducks. They like it. Most of us dont want it but ducks love it.
Posted By: LaBassmaster Re: still no duckweed - 11/23/19 12:07 PM
I see, I am scared to see it in my BOW, it has consumed the swampy shallow ponds behind me.
© Pond Boss Forum