Pond Boss
Posted By: roundy Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 01:54 AM
Bought two nice arrowheads plants online. They were doing fine, a couple weeks ago one vanished. Now the other one vanished. Could raccoons be the culprit?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 02:31 AM
Could also be turtles or grass carp.
Posted By: roundy Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 03:12 AM
No turtles seen yet, never stocked grass carp in new pond. Pond 2 yrs old.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 04:03 AM
Crayfish?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 05:13 AM
Skrats love arrowhead also.
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 10:52 AM
deer?
Posted By: roundy Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 12:09 PM
Deer and crayfish are possibilities, but no muskrats sign at pond. Lots of raccoon and deer tracks around edge of pond since water down a bit.
Posted By: Augie Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 02:22 PM
Deer ate the top out of one of the arrowhead plants that daughter purchased last month. Stealing my apples and peaches and pears isn't enough for the greedy varmints I guess. And Mrs. Augie's baby black willow... they ate that too... all the way to the ground.

The arrowhead plant looked terrible - it was absolutely shredded, but it wasn't hurt terribly bad. It put out new growth in a few days and looks fine now.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 02:36 PM
Augie they eat my dogwood leaves....... I’m trying to raise a live oak and they eat it down causing me to put a big cage around it

Hogs eat my arrow head ..... all gone now
Posted By: Augie Re: Disappearing Arrowhead plants - 07/26/19 04:32 PM
I'm going on the warpath with the dang deers this fall.

I've been cutting them some slack the last two seasons, but not this time.

Two nights ago I was at the pond feeding the baby RES and a big doe walked up to the pasture fence not 15 yards from me and started snorting and stomping trying to chase me off. I picked up a rock and threw it at her and the sassy ol hag didn't even jump.

They can't be satisfied to stay in the food plots, they gotta come up in the yard and steal my stuff, so no more Mr. Nice Guy!
© Pond Boss Forum