Pond Boss
Posted By: sindylou Is this charra? - 05/12/19 04:33 PM
Is this charra or a weed that has invaded my pond in West Texas?

Attached picture Charra.jpg
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 04:41 PM
Did you pull that out of the water or is it growing on the banks? If you crunch it up in your hand and it smells kinda like garlic, it may be chara, but it's hard to tell out of the water. It sorta resembles widgeon grass in the posted pic.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 05:07 PM
Don’t look like chara to me. Well after blowing it up it’s hard to tell
Posted By: sindylou Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 06:10 PM
Pulled out of water and it does have a smell these pics show it in the water

Attached picture Charra 3.jpg
Attached picture Charra 2.jpg
Posted By: sindylou Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 06:50 PM
These are better up close pictures, hopefully someone can tell me what it is

Attached picture upclose charra 2.jpg
Attached picture upclose charra.jpg
Posted By: sindylou Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 09:14 PM
Anyone? Please I'd sure appreciate anyones help
Posted By: anthropic Re: Is this charra? - 05/12/19 09:55 PM
If it has strong garlic/skunk odor, almost certain chara. If not, may well be nitella. Even experts (which I'm not) may have a tough time differentiating some types of pond plants.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Is this charra? - 05/13/19 12:02 AM
Ihe close up pictures were much more helpful. If the water is hard and has moderate to high alkalinity then it is Chara. If you have soft low alkalinity water then it is likely Nitella. Both are plant like 'stemy' forms of algae with no true roots. It looks a lot like Chara. They are early primary invaders of ponds; often the first to arrive as submerged vegetation.
Posted By: sindylou Re: Is this charra? - 05/13/19 03:25 AM
Thank you So much for your answer and explanation. The water here in West Texas is very hard (what there is of it) and the oilfield doesn't help. lol This is a problem that's gotten worse thru the last 2 years. I've used the Hydrothol and the Cutrine Plus with no success, I think if it's an algae my water is too hard for that to be beneficial unless I use enough to kill my fish, so I recently used Clearcast thinking it may be a weed and a herbicide would work, and I still don't see any results. I'd hire a professional to help, but there literally aren't any around my area Midland, TX 79706. (Just in case there is one that someone knows of).
© Pond Boss Forum