Pond Boss
Posted By: Ronan Lots of grass growing in pond - 07/31/18 10:27 PM
Hi

I've taken over a family property with a pond that's been neglected for years. I've just cut a path and built a small dock. My intention is make it a swimming pond. I'm guessing the pond is about 1/4 acre and about 14 feet deep.

There is a lot of grass growing nearly to the surface. This is over about 1/3 of the pond. What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks

Attached picture grass.jpg
Attached picture pond.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Lots of grass growing in pond - 08/02/18 08:44 PM
Welcome to the club Ronan! The first step is to clearly identify the "grass". Cut the top off of a clear plastic bottle (or use a good drinking glass from the kitchen) with smooth sides and put some of your grass in it with some tap water, then take your pictures. It helps to have a whitish background too. That will help those of us who might know what your dealing with. Then you'll likely get a herbicide suggestion. Sometimes a photo of the plant spread out on a white piece of paper can be helpful too. Does it smell if you break up a bunch of the stuff with your fingers? If so, smells like what?

I'm betting that is some kind of algae, but I'm not that good at ID'ing aquatic plantlife...yet.

Get some better pics back to the forum and we can get this sorted out pretty quick I'd think! Nice pond setting by the way.
Posted By: Ronan Re: Lots of grass growing in pond - 08/05/18 05:04 PM
Thanks!!

I will get better pics and post.
© Pond Boss Forum