Pond Boss
Posted By: Mal Is this possible? Tilipia FA control. - 07/16/18 09:34 PM
My 1.3 acre, shallow pond had a bit of a FA problem. It hadn’t gotten really bad and was somewhat controlled by physical removal.

I decided to try Tilipia.

Initially I stocked 85 fingerlings 1/2 inch or less. Suggested rate for FA control was 1000 per acre. A month later I stocked another 110.

In less than a month, I could see and hear something eating the FA. I stocked BG and LMB the previous fall and Interrupting the FA feast were occasional swirls that, I assume were my little bass eating the tiny tilipia.

Bottom line, though, is that I no longer have an FA problem. I see a little around brush or at the very edges, along with a little duckweed but it is well controlled. I don’t see it being eaten any more but I assume that’s what is controlling it.

I realize the tilipia will die off this fall. I want to try this again next year but think the near $1 each tilipia will simply be expensive fish food. I wish I had a reasonably priced source of tilipia large enough not to be eaten by 6 inch or so bass.

Is it possible that just under 200 tilipia initially 1/2 inch or less, under constant attack by LMB could actually control FA and duckweed on a 1.3 acre pond?
Tilapia farms (meat) usually sell live fish by the pound. That might be an option.
Posted By: Mal Re: Is this possible? Tilipia FA control. - 07/16/18 11:51 PM
Big one in Martinsville VA. I practically begged them to sell me some. They said they only sell them by the trailer truck load. I’m going to go by there before next Spring.

I still can hardly believe that’s what cleared it up.

Good lookin bass your kissin there!
Posted By: Mal Re: Is this possible? Tilipia FA control. - 11/12/18 03:35 PM
Judging from the growth of a fish I just found near the bank, I suspect that the Tilipia did indeed control the FA and duck weed.

At the risk of providing expensive food for my year old LMB, I think I'll do it again next year.

Not smart enough to attach the picture but the fish is 11 inches long. There has also been a well fed Great Blue Heron hanging around that I expect has been gorging on cold stunned Tilipia.
Posted By: ewest Re: Is this possible? Tilipia FA control. - 11/12/18 05:54 PM
Tilapia have been shown to help control FA. I have not seen any data on DW being controlled/eaten by Tilapia. Keep an eye on the DW as it can rapidly become a problem.
© Pond Boss Forum