Pond Boss
Posted By: Army Colonel Coon Tail Invasion - 06/03/18 02:17 AM
Help!

Put in an aerator this year with two diffusers. Left for a couple of weeks out of state and returned to a 2 acre pond full of coon tail and algae.

I have sprayed the algae with copper sulfate and have a gallon or more of glyphosate I can use but my understanding is it is to be used on emerged weeds.

I need some guidance on what can I use (preferably in a liquid form) that I can pour into the pond and it will kill the coon tail without hurting the fish.

I have added two gallons of blue dye but my understanding is that is just a growth inhibitor and not a solution.

Again, looking for something I can pour near the aerators and it will be dispersed across the pond.

Appreciate any help as the sooner is better with the warm weather we are having here in southern Illinois.....the weeds just keep growing.

BTW...pond is 2-2.5 acres average depth of six or so feet with one arm only three feet.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Coon Tail Invasion - 06/03/18 03:03 AM
Are grass carp allowed in Illinois ponds?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Coon Tail Invasion - 06/03/18 12:31 PM
Grass carp are legal in Illinois

Here are a few of the liquid herbicide recommendations from the Illinois DNR for control of Coon tail

Reward
Aquathol K
Hydrothol 191
Avast!
Sonar A.S.

Be careful. Killing a massive amount of vegetation all at once could cause a D.O. crash as it decays and cause a fish kill.

Posted By: Army Colonel Re: Coon Tail Invasion - 06/03/18 03:00 PM
Thanks Bill D!

I ordered some of the Hydrothol 191 granules.

I read that I should only do about a third of the pond at a time and start at the shorelines as the fish will initially move away from where the granules are dispersed.

I will follow that plan unless I hear advice from others to the contrary.

With the two diffusers in place and with me only working a third at a time do you think I should be safe from a fish kill?

What about some of these products I have read about that are bacteria that aides in the decomposing of the organic material on the bottom as well as the water clarity and muck?

Thanks again!
Posted By: Hambone33 Re: Coon Tail Invasion - 07/09/18 08:32 PM
I too live in So. IL and have a coontail problem in my 2.5 acre lake. Curious as to how the Hydrothol worked in your lake? Where'd you buy it?
© Pond Boss Forum