Pond Boss
Posted By: BrianL Chara or Coontail....Watch or remove ASAP? - 07/13/17 04:03 PM
I have some coontail growing on the dam (west)side of my pond. This is the second year of the pond, bult 10/15. I had some coontail last year, but probably only about 60% of what is here this year. It is growing in 2-3' of water. It is a strip about 3 feet wide and 50-80 yards long. I can see where CNBG have beds made in it. It seems to be good cover and not over abundant at this time. What to do? Leave it and monitor it and let fish use as cover, or try to kill it back asap?
Brian, I would remove it ASAP. Don't rake it, walk through it, or do anything to create loose pieces. Once it starts creeping, it can be a bear to get rid of. If you decide to go with a diquat for treatment, I would add Cutrine or Captain to the mix. It does make a difference in the results.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/coontail/
Brian, one factor that you haven't disclosed is "how much" 2-3' water is present within your lake that serves as hospitable habitat for coontail. Actually, both water-depth and water-clarity will determine where coontail seeds are able to survive and thrive post-germination.
The more suitable habitat there is for coontail expansion (beyond an acceptable level), the greater the need to take preemptive measures to curb or control its population before it gets "bad".
IMO, there are better products than diquat for spot-treating (managing) coontail; namely endothall or copper-complex herbicides - and their granular formulations in particular. Diquat has a very short life-span in water; which is good for some very specific situations, but it also limits diquat's efficacy & efficiency when dealing with a high-biomass submerged-weed scenario, especially when subsurface-injections of diquat aren't feasible.
That depth is very limited I'm terms of overall area at that depth, but the dam slope of 3:1 is around 2/3 of the pond. It gets deep fairly quick. After adding ag lime, clarity went from 10 to 30".
Kelly, does the Honey Grove Store carry any of those?
Originally Posted By: BrianL
Kelly, does the Honey Grove Store carry any of those?

Brian I suggest ordering those directly from Kelly - great way to support the Pond Boss family and a good way to thank Kelly for all his expert advice.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Chara or Coontail....Watch or remove ASAP? - 07/16/17 11:07 AM
TJ, glad u mentioned that about Kelly. I don't need any now but good to know for future. BrianL, good luck with all that and let us know how it all works out.
Well I need to do some further research. Last year coontail started growing and confirmed by puling it up, so when plants were in the same place, looked the same fro surface, I "assumed" it was the recurrence of coontail, but pulled some up this weekend and not sure. I will try and find a way to post pics to verify.
test
test 2

Attached picture 20170715_194449[1].jpg
pic 2....maybe...I'm thinking Chara now

Attached picture 20170715_194445[1].jpg
close up

Attached picture 20170715_194415[1].jpg
Underwater CNBG beds in ....

Attached picture 20170705_195059[1].jpg
Looks like Chara to me. That can be killed with several different copper based products
Brian, Bill Cody just confirmed the following from my pond to be Chara, I think your on the right track...

from this posting...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476219#Post476219
Chara...and chara is a complex algae - FAR better than coontail issues, I'd let it grow as it's out-competing the coontail now, this is a perfect scenario for you. If necessary, rake or apply algaecide to certain areas you want free [fishing lanes, beach, dock, etc.] but I'd leave the rest alone. Chara is far easier and cheaper to manage than coontail in my personal experience...and my GC like grazing chara - just another bonus.
Note to all. I went in and changed the title of this thread to include Chara to help those interested in Chara management.
Be aware the Chara can spread fast; IMO really fast. Ideally leaving about 1/3 of it present does create habitat and competes against filamentous algae. One thing that reduces the depth Chara grows are the pond dyes, but dye also reduces phytoplankton and fish growth which can be compensated with good quality fish pellets.
Thanks for fixing the title Bill.

By 1/3 I'm guessing you mean 1/3 of the bank area around the pond, or do you mean whatever amount I have, control 2/3 of it?
Yes whatever amount you have control 2/3 or 1/2 of it. 1/3 the fish (amur and/or tilapia) eat and 1/3 you remove and/or chemically control. 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/3 for those 'fractionally' challenged.
Just a note on chara: I'm actually seeing YOY CNBG in quantity now that I have chara. Before, they just didn't survive as they had almost nowhere to hide.

I saw this really clearly when a 15 inch LMB chased a 3 to 4 inch CNBG into the chara right next to the dock. Without chara, adios little guy!
© Pond Boss Forum