Pond Boss
Posted By: BarO Stocking GC in August? - 07/31/07 12:50 AM
I am pretty sure that all 3 of my 20# GC went over the spillway about 3 weeks ago. I have not seen them but did on a regular basis for the last 3 years until the monsoons hit. I sent in my application for 4 new GC to the state about 2 weeks ago so hopefully I will hear from them soon.

The waterleaf isn't bad but don't want to let it get out of control. Right now the water is up in the grass again(about a foot above conservation level) after the inch of rain in about 30 minutes this last Saturday.

Can I stock the GC at any time during the year,
assuming that I can find 10-12"ers somewhere this time of year?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Stocking GC in August? - 07/31/07 09:55 AM
IIRC GC have a typical "not recommended for hot water stocking" warning, and one of your fellow Texas PBs has a hot weather GC stocking story - stay tuned.

Realistically, how soon could your permit be approved?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stocking GC in August? - 07/31/07 11:25 AM
I stocked some for a guy 2 weeks ago. Made a one hour drive each way and sweated bullets the whole time. I wouldn't do it until the water cools down.

It took about 3 weeks to get the application approved and I had to build a 2 x 4 inch fish barrier to keep them from escaping. Expect to take pictures and send them to Bruce Hysmith for TPWD files. Pictures of the fish barrier can be seen on the TPWD web site where you get the application.
Posted By: BarO Re: Stocking GC in August? - 08/01/07 01:12 AM
Thanks Theo & Dave,
I have the fish barriers built on the spillway, as they were required on the first 3-4 stocked almost 7 years ago. The fish barrier worked fine until we had water coming 6" deep over the spillway/barrier. I will wait for September to stock.....since they state a 4 week turnaround on the application.
© Pond Boss Forum