Pond Boss
Posted By: rain lilly pad infestation - 03/05/17 08:29 PM
Hello to all,

Looking for an aquatic herbicide to take out the lily-pad based variety floating plants. They are really starting to pop-up and I know w the weather warming up too, now is the correct time [location, near Columbus Texas). I will also invest in the proper type aquatic surfactant as well.

One important thing to consider is that near 2 of my 3 ponds, there are oak trees that likely have roots taking on pond water. I do not want to use a herbicide [like pellets] that will fall to the bottom and be absorbed into soil or roots of trees. Need something that is absorbed via the upper exposed vegetation and systemically taken to roots. I know this is going to be an application battle of every 3-4 weeks to keep hitting the emerging pads that were sub-surface on the prior application. I'm ready for the task.

Next, some of these plants are pretty far out, so my aluminum boat and I are going to have to make the trip. What is the best process when using a small boat for spraying plants? I will wear a life-jacket and so will my 14 yr old daughter if she's the engine.

Finally, if I hit the surface w the "herbicide to be", and we get a rain, does the active ingredient move downstream? In essence, don't want to possibly send a herbicide down stream where live-oaks are growing.

Thank you very much and pls let me know if you have any questions. I'm ready to get going on this.

Regards,
Rain
Posted By: Bill D. Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/05/17 11:34 PM
Hey Rain,

First, are you sure they are lilies? Some folks mis-identify plants like watershield as lilies. Effective treatment can vary dependent on species of floating plants.

You might find this thread helpful.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246032

Bill D.
Posted By: Shelby County Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/06/17 03:33 AM
Hey Rain, Bill is right. You should be able to get all of the help you need from the pondboss threads. There is an expert in the business on Pond Boss by the name of Kelly Duffie. He can steer you in the right direction if you get stuck in the threads!
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/06/17 02:07 PM
Thanks guys - When I go out next, I will pull a few of the pads and take some pic's...target identification is critical, so I need to confirm.

I will be in touch very soon.

Regards,
rain
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/06/17 03:55 PM
Flowers if possible from the plants with pads are also very helpful for identification.
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/07/17 09:54 PM
Thanks Bill.

I can tell you from years of seeing them that the flowers are always all white w thin petals and a yellow inside.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the flowers too.

Going out on 3/8 to get some pics

Thanks again,
rain
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/07/17 10:07 PM
rain, if you could, get some pics with the flower still on the plant in it's natural state.
Posted By: ewest Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/08/17 03:59 PM
In the meantime look at this and see if you can id. If so it has treatment options.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/09/17 07:53 PM
Based on ewest's link, it is for sure a white fragrant water lily.

I tried attaching a pic, but could not.

The pic in the link provided of the fragrant water lily is identical to the one I took, minus the while flower..there are no flowers yet.

pls let me know what herbicide is the water for waging war, and that will not fall to the bottom that could be absorbed by live oak trees.

Also, I have other vegetation on the shore that if it kills it too, no problem. I also receive TONS OF WATER shed when it rains to replenish oxygen, as well as plenty of wind action as well. However, I'll apply in quadrants to not deplete O2 all at once.

Finally, I will get a non-ionic surfactant, but I will have to apply from a boat in a lot of instances, due to depth and thickness of lily pads I cannot access from the shore.

Thank you very much,
rain

Posted By: ewest Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/09/17 08:10 PM
See this for management options.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/white-water-lily/
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/09/17 08:48 PM
Thanks ewest.

I looked at the only (E) rated herbicides [Navigate and Weedar 64] and could not find anything on Lonza'a website for Navigate. Called Nufarm for Weedar 64 and they are going to call the rep that works Texas and have them call me.

Are there any Pond Boss vendor rep's that sell either of these products that I can call or correspond w for information?

I am familiar w Glyphosate as well, but it has a (G) vs (E) rating. Does anyone have direct experience and results w Rodeo, Aquamaster, Eraser AQ, Touchdown Pro, or AquaNeat? If so, was wondering about the kill rates and application frequencies?

Finally, w any of these herbicides, do the plants develop an immunity, or is it recommended to alternate w diff type active ingredients so the plants have to "keep guessing". I'm going to have a real war on my hands and have to make sure I partner w the right company.

Thanks again, rain
Posted By: Shelby County Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/10/17 03:46 AM
Rain, Google Helena Chemical Company. Try to PM Kelly Duffie here on Pond Boss. He can set you straight on all of these matters and he may carry the two items you asked about.
Tom
Posted By: ewest Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/10/17 04:06 PM
Yes there are PB people who can help. Kelly is one of them and an excellent source of info. Go to the PB web site and look at service providers for sources of help. See this

http://www.pondboss.com/Home
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/12/17 04:41 PM
Tom & ewest, thanks I will do so - ready to start the war w the white lilies
Posted By: rain Re: lilly pad infestation - 03/28/17 08:57 PM
well, Kelly D fixed me up nicely and I am waiting for the winds to die a bit. When they do, I am going to do some before and after pic's for pond infested w white water-lilies to a much clearer pond.

Again, appreciate everyone's help - rain
© Pond Boss Forum