Pond Boss
Posted By: Bill D. New method of FA removal? - 08/25/16 01:32 AM
As usual, I walked down to the pond this evening to feed and the SF and CC started circling as soon as they saw me. I still have about 10 CC in the 2 to 4 pound size I haven't harvested yet this year and they are real pigs at feeding time. I saw a patch of FA 2 feet in diameter or so floating 10 or so feet from shore. Thought I would have a little fun at my "pig's" expense and threw the first handful of pellets on top the FA mat.

They ate the entire mat in under a minute!! smile

Cracked me up! ...Guess the joke was on me! Never underestimate the power of a CC's appetite!
Posted By: snrub Re: New method of FA removal? - 08/25/16 05:04 AM
Bill I have a plan for catching my CC. Don't know if it will work but I think it is worth a shot.

When I was at TJ's place in Nebraska he let wife and I catch a couple of his monster fish. They were trained to eat Aquamax LMB pellets. After feeding some pellets and getting them excited he would wrap a LMB pellet in a piece of pantyhose with a hook enclosed. Cast it out and it was not long before I had a big hybrid striped bass and my wife caught a large smallmouth bass.

My CC love the aquamax pellets and I have been throwing just a few LMB pellets out along with the MVP pellets. I've never seen a LMB take the big pellets, but the BG knock them around till a CC shows up and it is gone. The CC love those big candy fish treats called Aquamax LMB.

My plan is one of these days after they get really used to taking in the big pellets is to do what TJ did. I'm thinking the CC should take the pellet/hook enclosed in the panty hose just like TJ's pets did. Worth a try anyway.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: New method of FA removal? - 08/25/16 02:21 PM
I use a pellet rolled into the bend of the hook and drop it down and it doesn't last long at all, either a cat or big BG
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New method of FA removal? - 09/08/16 01:46 AM
Snrub,

Sounds like a good idea. I was scratching my head on where to get LMB size pellets and then my Optima BG chow order showed up. A free sample of Optima LMB chow was included. Thank you Hoosier Pond Pros!
I'm thinking about just using a drop of gorilla glue to attach a size 4 hook to the pellet and tossing it out at feeding time.....
Posted By: snrub Re: New method of FA removal? - 09/08/16 02:30 AM
Gluing the bait to the hook. I would never thought of that in a thousand years.

Might work!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New method of FA removal? - 09/08/16 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: snrub
Bill I have a plan for catching my CC. Don't know if it will work but I think it is worth a shot.

When I was at TJ's place in Nebraska he let wife and I catch a couple of his monster fish. They were trained to eat Aquamax LMB pellets. After feeding some pellets and getting them excited he would wrap a LMB pellet in a piece of pantyhose with a hook enclosed. Cast it out and it was not long before I had a big hybrid striped bass and my wife caught a large smallmouth bass.

My CC love the aquamax pellets and I have been throwing just a few LMB pellets out along with the MVP pellets. I've never seen a LMB take the big pellets, but the BG knock them around till a CC shows up and it is gone. The CC love those big candy fish treats called Aquamax LMB.

My plan is one of these days after they get really used to taking in the big pellets is to do what TJ did. I'm thinking the CC should take the pellet/hook enclosed in the panty hose just like TJ's pets did. Worth a try anyway.

For big cats that are hook shy this is nearly the only way to catch them - great idea.
© Pond Boss Forum