Pond Boss
Posted By: JohnnyB Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 02:35 AM
Have always had aquatic moss. Have left alone as it has been tolerable and I understand killing it is difficult and raking makes it worse as it spreads by fragmentation.

This spring it has gone crazy....did a couple searches and found nothing. Can someone help w info on how to deal w this stuff?

I am in WI. 1/3 acre pond 10ft max depth, aerated.
Posted By: poppy65 Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 03:27 AM
I think your only choices are products like Cutrine Plus and manual removal. Mine has been worse than ever this year too. Pond dye seems to help by cutting down sunlight reaching the bottom where it grows. I used the Cutrine Plus granules spread over all water over a couple feet deep and Cutrine liquid around the edges. Just treat 1/3 to 1/2 of the pond at a time to prevent a fish kill from the decomposing FA. It does a great job and I hope it keeps it under control all summer.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 06:29 AM
My solutions to FA. Read any history back 200 or more years and you will see the waters were pristine with lots of fish and wildlife. FA was not a problem and surprise no chemicals or dyes were used by mother nature. There are two answers I have found for a mostly FA free pond. If I wanted to cast baits for fishing in my one acre pond I had the usual bass, bluegill, channel catfish and fathead minnows. But the secrete to keeping the weeds and FA down were for my one acre, 20 KOI, 6 Israeli carp, and 18 grass carp.

For my nature pond I now have is lots of vegetation. I have just a little FA around edges of the pond that is good for frogs, snails and other wild life.But the FA is stopped in it's tracks if it tries to move out into the pond. In these two examples my pond took care of itself. I didn't have to fret each year with dyes and chemicals. This picture was taken last week. You don't see any FA and the water is extremely clear.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 10:54 AM
First off, there exists a need to identify just what the aquatic "moss" actually is.
Posted By: JohnnyB Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 03:01 PM
Looks like the attached

Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/25/16 04:21 PM
Kelly Duffie our weed management expert my be able to help us. You very likely have a true aquatic moss. A better close up picture of 1 or 2 strands in a bowl of shallow water or a sprig in your hand will help verify the name. Aquatic mosses have very rarely been discussed here. Sphagnum moss is a type of aquatic moss. I'm not sure of the best control methods for the aquatic mosses.
Posted By: Coho Eddie Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/30/16 01:59 AM
I have dealt with it in the past at my days at Sepro. I think some guys up here used Fluridone at max rates in ponds but I never followed up with them to see if it worked. All I know is it is difficult to control. This might be a case where I'd like to see if Triploids do the job.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Aquatic moss explosive growth - 05/30/16 03:11 AM
JohnnyB - the photo that you posted (possibly not one that you took) doesn't allow an accurate ID. Too much balled-up material and too blurry to see any details.
It could be some type of filamentous algae - OR it could be a species of bladderwort, OR it might be something else. Either way, a positive ID is needed before discussing any products or management options.
A close-up photo of a couple of strands of the actual stuff from your pond - held in your palm - in sharp focus - would do nicely.
© Pond Boss Forum