Pond Boss
Posted By: john kelsey Visiting other members ponds - 05/04/16 01:16 PM
Okay this is probably been asked hundreds of times, but what is the number one best way to control algae?

I moved the question from the "visiting other members ponds" thread to here to get better visibility. That's why the title is the same.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Visiting other members ponds - 05/04/16 02:26 PM
see this:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446297#Post446297
Posted By: Zep Re: Visiting other members ponds - 05/04/16 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: john kelsey
Okay this is probably been asked hundreds of times, but what is the number one best way to control algae?

John...I've had pretty good luck with Cutrine Plus Granules.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Visiting other members ponds - 05/04/16 06:31 PM
John,

There are many articles in the archives on this topic but IMHO it all comes down to this....if you have an overload of nutrients SOMETHING is going to come along and take advantage of that. If some sort of native and/or introduced plant isn't drawing out the nutrients then you're going to have algae.

People will nuke their ponds to kill off the plant growth but again in my opinion that's a never ending battle. The nutrients are there....my solution has been to try to cultivate enough plants that the algae is curbed naturally. I don't always succeed but that's what I try to do.
Posted By: esshup Best way to control algae? - 05/04/16 06:37 PM
If you can put up with enough underwater plants, I would go that route.

Second option (where legal) would be to kill FA with chemicals, then the next few days stock Tilapia in sufficient numbers. They will eat the algae, and when the die in the fall, MANY will be removed from the pond by scavengers, and that will remove many nutrients.

Third option is chemicals and dye to reduce sunlight penetration. That may be an every 2-3-4 week "treat and repeat" process.

Fourth option is mechanically removing FA mats. VERY labor intensive.
© Pond Boss Forum