Pond Boss
Posted By: skibumtx Controlling Southern Watergrass - 07/26/04 01:52 PM
I have a cabin on a 200 acre fresh water lake near Woodville, TX. The dam for this lake washed out in 1996 and was (finally) rebuilt in 2003. Lots of pine trees and other brush grew up in the lakebed over the years, but was cleared out before the water rose. There was crab grass and st. augustine in front of my bulkhead; the lakebed gently slopes down from 8" of water to 4' of water over a distance of 40'. Ever since the water came up, there has been a tremendous amount of Southern Watergrass. Here is a picture of it Southern Watergrass photo . I have tried to clear it by using Rodeo and surfactant without any results. When we pull it, it just comes right back.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Controlling Southern Watergrass - 07/31/04 02:46 PM
HABITAT aquatic herbicide would likely do a very good job on that specie - provided that the plant has leaf structure on or above the water's surface. HOWEVER, judging by your screen name, the lake in question is used for waterskiing. That would likely impact when an effective treatment could be conducted. Also, there are some water-use restrictions (irrigation) associate with HABITAT's use. Email me if you have questions or want further details.
© Pond Boss Forum