Pond Boss
Posted By: b57tx killing coontail - 06/02/03 07:27 PM
I have a 3 acre lake that averages 6 foot of depth. It is entirely covered in coontail. I have been battling it for years. Im sick of pulling it out with the tractor every year and have give up on the grass carp I put in several years ago. Im gonna nuke it. I need to know what product is the best. I used Reward several years ago and had good results but it just grew back. Im looking for the most cost effective herbcide and the most environmentally sound stuff. There is livestock that waters in the pond but it can be moved for a few days. I eat the fish from the pond regularly as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Fishhead Re: killing coontail - 06/04/03 04:54 PM
I just got done ordering some Weedtrin-D (diaquat) for my coontail and duckweed. It'll be a week or so before i can give the report but will let you know how it goes.
$75.00 per gal covers 4000 sq ft.
Product itself is safe for fish but dying vegitation will consume DO2.

FH
Posted By: Brad Bortz Re: killing coontail - 06/05/03 12:37 AM
I was just going to ask the same question! My lake is 5 acres and is so loaded w/ coontail, It's getting worse as the weather gets hotter. I really do not want any chemicals in the lake and have already resorted to pulling it up by hand and rakes. How did you use your tractor to pull up this crap?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: killing coontail - 06/05/03 03:00 AM
Have you seen the grass carp? Many folks stock the smaller 8-10 inch size and the bass love their torpedo shape. If you have not seen several or did not stock at the right rate??? I have had good luck with grass carp controlling it. If ging the herbicide route, I suggest Reward. It has much higher concentration of Diquat than Weedtrine.
Posted By: Brad Bortz Re: killing coontail - 06/05/03 03:46 AM
Greg, My neighbor has the same type of of lake dynamics as mine, He put grass carp in his lake years ago and they don't touch the coontail according to him. I also remember reading that grass carp don't like the stuff, and will only eat it as a last resort. Do you think thats true, or do your grass carp really do a number on the crap. I have carp in my lake but not grass carp. Do you recomend getting rid of the ones I have now and getting grass carp?
Posted By: Ronnie Raper Re: killing coontail - 06/18/03 02:13 AM
I have the same problem as all of you guys and I still don't see an answer (reply) that gets me anywhere. If anyone finds out about anything email me the answer. Thanks randsdj@smail.astate.edu
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: killing coontail - 06/18/03 02:33 AM
Reward or Sonar or grass carp at 60/vegetated acre & then in 6 or 7 yrs 20/vegetated acre.
Posted By: Ronnie Raper Re: killing coontail - 06/18/03 02:41 AM
Thanks for the answer! I am a beginner as far as pond management goes, so where exactly can I get this Sonar and what is it going to cost? Are there any places in Arkansas where I can purchase the Sonar? Thanks \:\)
Posted By: Dudley W Re: killing coontail - 05/09/04 08:49 PM
Having spent the day pulling 7 cubic yards of coontail from my pond and realizing that I have about 8 times that much still to pull, I have a question.

Does this stuff grow back in the same season or will it wait until next year to haunt me again?

Will Aquashade slow this stuff down? I realize that it is not ideal for raising fish, but I'd rather avoid herbicieds if I can.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: killing coontail - 05/10/04 04:07 AM
Since coontail isn't commonly rooted, any fragments that are left behind following a mechanical/manual removal operation are free to grow. So, regrowth during the same season of such operations are common - and likely. To what degree? - it depends on many things. But, small to moderate population of coontail may actually be a desirable thing. But, if your pond offers a conducive environment, coontail can take over and become too abundant.
SONAR or AQUATHOL are two very effective treatments for coontail, with REWARD being a distant 3rd - but very suitable if your pond experiences frequent or constant flow-through.
SONAR, though easily applied, requires an extended contact-time (30 days+). Season-long control (or more) is normally obtained with one treatment.
AQUATHOL has more labor/equipment requirements, but contact-time requirement is much shorter than SONAR and visable results are quicker, and regrowth tends to be impeded to some degree.
REWARD works very fast but regrowth may occur almost immediately.
If you're avoiding herbicides for a specific reason or concern, that's fine. However, when properly employed, herbicides may provide a very cost-effective and environmentally friendly option to repeated manual-removal efforts.
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: killing coontail - 05/10/04 02:13 PM
Thanks for the great comments. My problem is with White Water Crowfoot (Buttercup) Ranunculus flabellaris. It and Yellow Water Crowfoot look very much like coontail. They hold their white or yellow flowers just above the surface.

We have 15 grass carp in 4 acres that we put in last year. They were 12-14 inches long when we put them in. Obviously we don't have enough, they aren't big enough or they don't like this plant.

My biggest concern is that we have a number of hybrid water lilies in the area. Is there any herbicides that would control the crowfoot but not kill the water lilies? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: PondsRx Re: killing coontail - 05/13/04 03:16 AM
I agree with Kelly. Sonar is probably the best method for controlling coontail. If flow is a problem, Sonar has pellets (Quick Release, and Precision Release) that help in flow situations. Reward or diquat (Weedtrine D) are contact herbicides that only burn the plant back. Yes, it will regrow. Fluridone is a systemic that will kill the entire plant.
Posted By: Dudley W Re: killing coontail - 05/13/04 12:48 PM
Will the sonar applied to kill the coontail affect the cattails if it is not directly applied to them?
Posted By: PondsRx Re: killing coontail - 05/14/04 10:04 PM
Sonar could kill the cattail if you went to a high enough dosage. You don't need to go that high to kill coontail though.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: killing coontail - 05/16/04 02:18 AM
A variation of Mr. Murphy's Law comes into play with cattails, in relation to a SONAR treatment. If you want to retain the cattails, the SONAR will wipe 'em out. If you want to eradicate them, not a one will die. In general, they'll likely be affected to some degree or another (provided they're inundated in the treated water). Otherwise, eradicating them isn't very likely at typical SONAR use-rates.
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: killing coontail - 05/19/04 12:49 PM
I'm trying Aquathol to control water crowfoot. Does anyone have any experience with this herbicide? In particular, I don't want to hurt my hybrid waterlilies.
Posted By: Tent Camp Re: killing coontail - 07/07/04 09:37 AM
Our southeast AR pond is ~52 acres. For the last two years we have flown in an 11-48-0 fertilizer (recommended by AR Game & Fish Com). The lake is now fishable year-round. Moss growth down, turbidity up with visibility down to ~2'.
Coontail moss is a problem is certain spots.
Nearby club has used Aquathol K at recommended application rates with success 3 weeks after application.
That's our next step. Will keep you posted.
Any suggestions? We tried grass carp several years ago, but high water put 'em in Baton Rouge!
Posted By: Tent Camp Re: killing coontail - 08/02/04 07:03 PM
Two clubs, mine included, have used Aquathol K (Elf Atochem) on coontail. It's expensive, at 1.6 gal/acre-ft & ~$100/gal! But it works in 3 weeks.

Anybody know how to kill black horsehair?
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: killing coontail - 08/03/04 02:37 AM
TC - did that $100/gal. include application???

Also, I'm not familiar with black horsehair (a plant?). Do you have a picture of it?
Posted By: kingrichard Re: killing coontail - 08/04/04 08:01 PM
I don't have as much coontail in my 2 acre pond. I have noticed after a heavy rain and humid weather, there is a lot of nasty floating algae covering 1/5th of the surface. I tried scooping it out with a net, but it became exhausting and I only put a small dent in the algae. I don't have a boat so I can't get to the rest of the algae. I have stocked Largemouth Bass and Bluegills. Is there an easier way to get rid of this without killing the fish? I have worked hard to get this to be a productive pond. I see a lot of baby fish swimming around, so it is starting to come around. I'm afraid the algae will kill my fish if it gets out of control. Any suggestions?

P.S. I just read about the coontail moss. Is this what caused the floating algae like moss in the pond. If so, will getting rid of the coontails help prevent this from happening in the future?

Richard
Indianapolis, IN
Posted By: Tent Camp Re: killing coontail - 08/17/04 09:17 PM
Recently used Aquathol K on 52 acre pond to kill coontail. Used recommended application rate of 1.3 to 1.9 gal/acre-ft, unskilled labor (mine), gloves (the stuff looks evil), & a garden sprayer. Spot application killed it graveyard-dead in two weeks.
It's damened expensive, but it works!
Posted By: Fishman Re: killing coontail - 08/19/04 09:33 PM
"52 acre pond"

Even in Texas, we'd call that a lake! ;\)
© Pond Boss Forum