Pond Boss
Posted By: Riggs Will my bass eat a 10" grass carp? - 07/05/15 08:32 PM
After returning from WW2 my grandfather built a 30 acre pond on some of our family property. We are in South Georgia about 45 minutes from savannah.

We are having issues with slander spike rush. We have been doing some management with chemicals. And intend on putting in 200 grass carp. There are thriving large mouth bass and blue gill populations.

Wwe live a few hours away. Only get to come about once a month for a few days. While we catch 1pound to 3 pound bass hand over fist and we catch at least one 4 to 6 pound every visit. Last summer I caught 2 7-8 pounds and 1 ten pound. This summer a friend caught 1 that was 10.5 pounds. I have to admit I'm worried a 10 inch carp is gunna get eaten and with it, my money.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Woody1355 Re: Will my bass eat a 10" grass carp? - 07/05/15 10:34 PM
I would think they'd go for something easier if possible. But 200 grass carp seems like a lot of carp
Posted By: Rainman Re: Will my bass eat a 10" grass carp? - 07/05/15 11:06 PM
Riggs, Welcome to the Forum!

The short answer to your question is, yes, a 14" LMB can get a 10" GC in it's mouth quote easily. You can never really know if, or how many, will be eaten after stocking. The best for you would be 12"+ GC. To effectively use GC, on the 4th year after stocking, remove and replace 1/3 of your GC stock....not often an easy thing to do. Once GC get about 10 pounds or so, they become lazy and eat pretty little, just taking up space LMB or forage could use.

If possible, I would try continuing to manage the slender spiked rush chemically, as it is likely a big reason you are catching those bigger LMB now. The rush allows some good area for pan and bait fish to grow to the sizes needed for a lunker bas to continue growing. About 20% of your lake should be in plants for both providing oxygen, and also good cover for smaller fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Will my bass eat a 10" grass carp? - 07/06/15 04:00 AM
The rush is not a preferred food of the GC, and I think if that's the majority of your weed problems, you should manage it with chemicals. I don't think you will see the control you are desiring with the GC.
Posted By: Riggs Re: Will my bass eat a 10" grass carp? - 07/12/15 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone!
© Pond Boss Forum