Pond Boss
Posted By: snrub FA going to town in the fall - 11/13/14 04:03 AM
Hope it is not an indication of what will come next spring, but the fresh growth of FA on the bottom of the pond is tremendous lately. Surely this freezing weather will shut it down?

We had FA reasonably bad this summer with low water levels from lack of rain runoff. Here a few weeks ago we had several good rains. Along with a lot of wind, the old FA mats washed up on the shore along with my help in a few places and all looked nice.

Then after all the fresh water inflow and fall weather, the water cleared to clearer than it has been all year. Could see probably 4'. And the sun hitting the bottom brought on a fresh new growth of FA. No mats or anything like that, just bright green on the bottom.

Hope this is not a taste of what is to come next spring.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: FA going to town in the fall - 11/13/14 12:03 PM
Snrub I get a brilliant green algae under the ice in the winter. I figure it is a different kind from the FA, but don't really know.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: FA going to town in the fall - 11/13/14 12:25 PM
Snrub I hate to break this to you, but there are cold water loving varieties of FA as well.

Mine grows like gangbusters under the ice all winter long.
Posted By: Rainman Re: FA going to town in the fall - 11/13/14 01:49 PM
Makes for great under=ice Oxygen production...
Posted By: esshup Re: FA going to town in the fall - 11/13/14 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Makes for great under=ice Oxygen production...

When there is sun.....

snrub, you posted why it's growing. Clearer water allowing light to get to the bottom. You'll have just as much growing in the summer if the sunlight can get to the bottom then too.

It might not break free and float because gas production isn't as great as in summer, but I wouldn't place any money on it.

I've had 4' long strands under the ice in my pond.
Posted By: snrub Re: FA going to town in the fall - 11/17/14 02:55 PM
Wonderful.

As long as it stays submerged its not so bad.

Maybe will get some rooted plants going to use up some of the nutrients.
© Pond Boss Forum