Pond Boss
Posted By: kkauf1981 Tilapia !!!!!!!!! - 07/20/14 03:35 AM
Stocked my pond this year with Nile tilapia this year. I got them from Fishandworms, A guy here in central Ohio. The fish are amazing!! They are all between 1 and 1 1/2 lbs, healthy and active. They charged me $9 each and delivered for an additional $.50/mile. I'm thrilled with the fish I got for the money and will definitely be a customer next year. If you haven't already, check out his youtube videos (fishandworms), Really neat what these guys are doing. I Think I'll try and fish them out in the fall and filet them, 2 for 1. Not to worried about no spawning because of the male pop. mainly did for the vegetation control. Thrilled so far!!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia !!!!!!!!! - 07/20/14 03:47 AM
Good to hear kkauf...Niles die at 55^ water temps where Blue Tilapia eat a wider variety of algae's and die at 45*...giving you about 2 extra months use in your pond.

If you think about using them as vegetation control, you need spawning to do the best job. Tilapia convert food into flesh at a very high rate...even if 1 fish gained 10 pounds, it will have only eaten about 13 pounds of plants....most ponds have 1000's of pounds of plant life.

All that matters is you are happy.
© Pond Boss Forum