Pond Boss
Posted By: Ranger007 How to control FA in a crop run off pond? - 03/29/13 03:35 PM
My pond is a little over an acre, about 50% of it is water 12 ft deep or more. But it is along the edge of a soybean field and of course it gets run off.

My problem is FA. every year I spray cutrine plus to control the banks closest to my house, but with a mild winter this year the FA is really bad. It has been stocked with LMB. I have no aeration.

I was wondering if there was anything else I could do?
Does the pond rely on runoff to keep full? If not you could try to divert it around the pond.
Run off is what keeps it full.
have you ever stocked grass carp or tilapia? I would probably try stocking them instead of using chemicals. you should probably start looking into installing an aerator. I don't know much about algae control but i'm sure someone will come along that does normaly the experts are allover this kind of thing.
Hi Ranger007,

Tilapia are good for a non chemical way to go. Try to contact Rex, AKA Rainman, by a PM. He would be able to tell you if they are legal to stock in your state.

Link to just one of many threads on tilapia;
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post321024

It is always a bit slower here around holiday weekends, but hopefully others will give a few more suggestions. I have been reading up on the FA also, and some folks use a pond dye in conjunction with the Cutrine. See this thread to see how Tums controls the FA to get a plankton bloom.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327960#Post327960
Also, the pros may want to know if you have any other plants growing in the pond. Other plants might help compete against the FA. Not a quick fix, but a possibility for the future.
Thanks for the replys. I'm definitely going to look into the talapia since bass can eat them too. I dont have any other underwater grass as of now and hadn't used any pond color yet but will definitely look into that also.
Can you also plant a grass barrier around the pond as wide as possible?
Just read this post and was going to suggest the same thing Cecil Baird did. A grass barrier is a great filter system for water before it reaches your pond.

I was almost tempted to let cattails grow on a small drainage side of my pond, but I just let the grass grow taller on that side. Its not an alge free system but it helps. P.S. I hate cattails grin.
© Pond Boss Forum